MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some news to cheer you all up and warm the cockles of your heart. BMW's 1 series is flopping. Quentin Wilson said that BMW are running brilliant deals just to move them off the forecourts.

Perhaps BMW will now find out that it's tougher trying to sell smaller cars! Should have stuck with MGR.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Or maybe people have realised how much of an overpriced, unpractical, overweight, ugly, gutless, and oversexed car it is and that they can get better cars if they were to just stop being ***** and following the crowd.

Frankly I'm glad. The only reason people buy it is for the badge and the badge only; people just buy it to buy a BMW and to impress the neighbours... Hopefully this should be a lesson for them to get their act together.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I be surprised if thats the case as I seem them commonly and they have
only just come out. Think how long it took to see the 75 regularly after it came out.

Kind Regards,
iN

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I certainly hope they don't learn their lesson from this. Roll on the new £100k BMW mini people carrier that looks like a 1 day old vomit. :D

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
then why is it there is a 3mth waiting list for one at this moment! Speaking to me mate who works at hams hall, he said that even the employees themselves on the car scheme are waiting upto 5mths for one.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
Ice D said:
then why is it there is a 3mth waiting list for one at this moment! Speaking to me mate who works at hams hall, he said that even the employees themselves on the car scheme are waiting upto 5mths for one.

Because the blind or sight impaired get first crack at the available cars??

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Ice D said:
I suspect it is only because BMW are well versed at creating artificial shortages as a means of upping demand through scarcity-but it really doesn't appear to be working with this car.

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ice D said:
Quentin Wilson says they built his within a week and the dealer practically begged him to buy one! People on car schemes do tend to wait longer (3 month waiting list for a Rover 45 at work!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
MGROVERnut said:
BMW's 1 series is flopping
:wtf:

BMW sold 58,925 1-series during the first 6 months. In a German business magazine I have read that the car is selling better as BMW has expected. I can´t imagine that they will be wrong...

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
MGROVERnut said:
Quentin Wilson says they built his within a week and the dealer practically begged him to buy one!
You mean he has actually bought one? :wtf:

You would think a bloke like him would have more sense. :shake:

·
Registered
796 Posts
I saw a 1 series today for the First time in Flesh in a Tesco's car park...I said to my mate it looked like a Mazda with a BMW badge stuck on it! :sick2:

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I'm along the same line of though, except I think it looks like a Proton. In fact if it had a Proton badge on it would sell for much... Much less.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
It does make me seeth every time I see one of these cars. OK if you're rich and feel the need to let everyone know then go buy a 3/5 series.

But what's the justification for buying the 1-series?

- It can't be looks
- It can't be power
- It can't be practicality
- It can't be handling (yes they are good but would it really beat a ZS)

Oh yes, "the badge" sorry I forgot...

:mad:

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Actually it reminds me of the Z3 tourer/estate version they made (ok wasn't exactly an estate but they made a massive car out of a small one). Except that grew on you - and it was actually not too bad a car. The 1 series though..... ugh.... bangle.....

Sometimes I wonder if BMW management is as deluded as some of their customers......

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Atmos said:
:wtf:

BMW sold 58,925 1-series during the first 6 months. In a German business magazine I have read that the car is selling better as BMW has expected. I can´t imagine that they will be wrong...
Is that a count just for Europe, or worldwide...???

If it is worldwide (including the USA where taste doesn't necessarily apply) then that is pretty poor. If its just a Europe count, then thats not great either but not a kick in the teeth by any means.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If anyone has seen the new Kia Cerato has a very similer Profile to that of the 1 series and the interier seem to be of equel levels as well.
Bottom line, it costs £9000 compared to the 1 series at £16000.
Thats comparing the base model of each car. Both feature a 1.6 engine. Performance wise 0 - 60 times are fairly evenly matched with the BMW at 10.8 sec and the Kia at 11 sec while top speed the bmw tops out at 125 while the Kia at 115

·
Registered
446 Posts
The difference between a 1 and many better cars is the rear wheel drive.

Even so, if you want and underpowered rwd car then just buy 318 and then less people will laugh at you.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Vincero said:
Is that a count just for Europe, or worldwide...???

If it is worldwide (including the USA where taste doesn't necessarily apply) then that is pretty poor. If its just a Europe count, then thats not great either but not a kick in the teeth by any means.
The 1series is not offered in the USA (they plan to enter this market at a later stage and the United States are the biggest BMW market). This BMW entry model range is up to now very limited with just a three door version. From what I have read BMW has expected 100,000 1series sales during 2005. As written, during the first 6 months they sold nearly 60,000 - it seems to work fine for them. This model is more a niche product for BMW, after they have a wider 1series range this status might change for them.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts