MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

any thoughts on this? drove about 100 miles to visit some mates yesterday, and right and the end of that trip when i was doing 3 point turns everywhere as I got lost, the car would keep stalling. basically idle sounded pretty rough. then turning the ignition, there would be a couple of turns but then it would stop - almost as if the battery was flat. eventually it seemed to start.

but then drivin back home today, mega problems. noticed a lot of blueish gas coming out the exhaust, although seemed to disappear whenever i wasn't accelerating. i'd checked the oil before i set off, and was about 3/4 on the mark. when i stoppped to give it a check about 30 miles later, the oil wasn't even on the dipstick. put about 2 maybe 2.5 litres oil in to get it back up to the max mark. there wasn't quite so much gas coming off for the rest of the trip, but still felt as if was about to stall whenever i came to a stop.

so - any thoughts what this sounds like? piston ring gone or something? big job or not cost wise? am getting dangerously close to scrapping the thing, had new head gasket about 6 months ago, replaced gearbox, and the list keeps growing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The blue gas means the engine is burning oil (thus the poor oil consumption).

I can't think what the cause is, but if you've had the gearbox done recently it might be an idea to check it isn't leaking oil or anything.

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge'll come along shortly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
am thinking about doing a compression test, partly out of curiosity as never done one before, and also would be interested in the results.

i gather am looking at about a tenner for the gauge. is it fairly easy to do? i've had the spark plugs out before, doesn't sound too much harder than just that!

also, if it comes to it, whats the best way to get rid of a semi-broken car? is there any chance of getting money for it. spent nearly a grand on new bits for it already! :(

·
Registered
211 Posts
I haven't done a compression test either, but it has been covered at http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=193894 . Just remember to disable ignition and fuel, as Ashy says in that thread.

As for getting rid of the car if needs be, there are two ways to go - if the car's an older example you may get more money by stripping out the good parts and selling them in the seller's section of this forum. The only problem with this is it takes a bit longer to sell everything, and some parts may have to be dumped if they don't sell. You'd also need somewhere to store the car whilst stripping and selling the parts. If the car is a newer car, it might pay to advertise it as spares or repair. Again, this forum would be a good place to start advertising.

The local breakers yard might be another option if the worst comes to the worst.

The price would depend entirely on the year of the car.

Good luck

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thinking i'm probably best off declaring it SORN as literally just got a new tax disc for it, and probably stick it on ebay.. it's a 98 reg, just had a new starter motor and various bits and pieces, hoping i might have some luck if i stick it on there at a buy it now of 500 quid. dunno if thats being too optimistic tho?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ebay isn't a good place to go for a good price. There are working 214s with a buy it now price of around £900 for '98 S reg. Then again at the other end of the scale, the car below is at £500 advertised as spares or repair.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-ROVER-21...ryZ18262QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you really want to get rid of it, I suggest the local classifieds. However, I would at least try a repair before getting rid of the car, if for no other reason than if you can get it fixed you'll get a lot more money if you decide to sell on.

The oil must be leaking from somewhere. Jack the car up and have a look underneath for any leaks (did you check the gearbox?). Hopefully someone with a bit more experience in this sort of problem will be along shortly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the comments. i think a repair on this is gonna cost 300 quid or so though so i'm not holding out much hope, tho still thinking i might do a compression test.

the oil was being burnt off rather than dripping out the bottom, thats why i think it might be piston rings or something like that, basically I think at least one of the cylinders is struggling - would explain why it struggles at low rev's and to struggles to start.

it had a new (replacement/old) gearbox put on it a few months back as the last one lost 2nd gear. don't think its anything to do with the gearbox to be honest, driving down on the m1 it was pretty clear where the oil was going - the massive blue trail of smoke coming out of my back end!! fair amount of black sooty deposit on the exhaust too, so i'm guessing i'd need a new cat as well. so to my mind i'm looking at about a 400 quid repair job!!

so i reckon best hope is if someone wants to pick it up for stripping there's money to be made there (new starter motor, throttle body, etc) or else if someone buys it and drops a new engine in it, could probably sell for a grand i guess.

thanks for the suggestions tho, will look at the classifieds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts