MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

I've recently purchased a MG ZR 160, four years old, FSH, excellent con in and out however I'm not sure if the exhaust is ok.

I'm really a newbie when it comes to cars so I will try and explain as best as possible. When I accelerate hard the exhaust make a raspy, sort of rattle noise, which does sound very sporty but at the same time reminds me of an old banger fitted with a noisy exhaust you see/hear flying by.

The raspy/rattle noise happens only when I hit between roughly 2-4000rpm and after that disappears and the engine makes a nice roar.

Some of my mates say it sounds sweet and that there is nothing wrong with it but others say its blowing (I can't confirm this though as I'm never heard an exhaust blowing). It sounds worst actually in the car than out. I got my mate to do a drive by (with out the guns ;) and it did sound good.

I understand that the twin bore exhaust has a valve to help create a more sporty sound so I'm not sure if that’s the cause or if there is in fact a problem. I know that if I take it to a garage they would simply say it needs replacing regardless of where it does or not so I'm trying to figure this out for myself.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
mg_zr
698 Posts
I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's probably the 2nd exit pipe opening up to alow the gases to escape quicker.
Best thing to do is at a standstill, and once warmed up, rev it until you hear the noise.
If it's blowing, you would know!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hello, thanks for the replies.

Ok, took it for a drive tonight and paid close attention to when I hear the raspy/sort of rattle noice. It starts to come in at its peak when revs are reaching 3000rpm, after that it disappears and the sound is great!

Can another 160 owner confirm if this is right or not? Surely if it was blowing it would blow with any sort of acceleration, not just at a certain rpm?

At stand still what side should the valve be on? Perhaps I could get a mate to rev and see if I can spot the valve opening at the point the sound is produced.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
yep, thats the flap opening.

its there so it would pass the driveby noise test thingys (someone will know the name)

i'l sure there is something you disconnect and they will both stay open.

if you look down the tailpipes you will notice it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand about the vavle and have seen it but it just sounds a little wrong to me.

Only had the car a week, so forever trying to find things wrong with it, anyone else like this or am I just completely mad?!

If it is meant to sound the way it does then bring it on. Is there an easy way to keep the vavle closed, that way I could confirm that's the valve making the noise.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Stick your palm(s) over the end of the tailpipe(s) to close them off. You should feel a pressure build up and then a noise like the sound of a kiss (but in reverse, if that makes sense?), as your palm(s) get blown off.

If not, it's blowing somewhere

·
Registered
mg_zr
143 Posts
Well my ZR 160 has just had its 4 year service and the back box is rusted badly and is blowing, so i am thinking that your could be similar

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took it to garage and it is defo blowing (saw the rust and holes myself).

They said they can get an original back box but will cost £449 as hardly any about. Been to a few other garages but all pretty much the same price.

Probably gonna have to get a third party (sporty) one but really don't want it sounding that loud.

·
Registered
mg_zr
143 Posts
Dont know where you are, but if anywhere near Warwickshire, you could speak to "one-stop-car-shop" in Bidford on Avon.
Used to be the service people from Edwards of Statford.

Tel 01789 773733

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for that, I live in sw london, haven't had much of a search yet, will do so when I get a few spare moments.

What did you get fitted Simon? Cost?

·
Registered
mg_zr
143 Posts
Must admit that due to a few family illness problems havent got round to doing it yet.
However, I had a chat with the guy there (Derry?) and he said they can supply a non twin-pipe back box without the valve (and plug up the pneumatic line) for something like £150. But don't quote me on that price as i sort of forgotten how much exactly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Same here, mine was 4 years old. And a small hole appreared near the flange end on the pipe! Used that putty stuff for short term. Until the hold started getting bigger, then needed a replacement backbox

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had a similar problem with my ZR (105). It was just rust on the end of the pipe by the backbox. The garage i took it to didn't have a ZR backbox so they fitted a rover 25 one for £75.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts