MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the car in ECON mode today, and then switched on A/C and what a stink came out of the air vents. This has happened a couple times now. The polen filter was replaced last september, and I did the biocide last August when I bought the car. I notice I also have no rubber tubes down the plenums, one is actually pushed through and I can see it if I look carefully down past the ECU.

Any ideas what this musty stink could be, and no, it's not my BO :)

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
- - - - - - - Any ideas what this musty stink could be, and no, it's not my BO :)
No, but it's caused by the same thing! Bacteria are 'feeding' on the dark, dank and warm parts of the air conditioning system. I haven't (yet) had the problem, but it's pretty common and I'm hoping someone will post the difinitive solution. I don't go for these antibac sprays and Domestos slurps. I wonder if there really is a DIY cure?

TC

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
you can buy canisters that you let off in the car, run engine, close doors, stick aircon to hardcore recirculation mode and leave for half an hour. I use them to deodourise and kill bacteria in cars I detail.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ive used the canister on the ZT and on a previous car and neither time worked for me.

Once had a mobile air-con treatment where they pumped smoke down into the vents, same idea as the can but more powerful and worked a treat.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
i've had great results from them. weird!

you can get a clean/leak check/gas for less than £100 these days.

·
Registered
78 Posts
common problem

I work in the industry and we see this problem all the time, more so in the uk than anywhere else. I use my air con at least twice a week during the winter months, its also great on the days th condensation has filled the car, you know those days when you get in and as soon as you breath the window mists up. Well running the air con on a regular basis will prevent the bacteria build up and the smell that comes with it. stick you air con on full blast for ten mins this helps kill the bacteria off for a bit

Steve

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I work in the industry and we see this problem all the time, more so in the uk than anywhere else. I use my air con at least twice a week during the winter months, its also great on the days th condensation has filled the car, you know those days when you get in and as soon as you breath the window mists up. Well running the air con on a regular basis will prevent the bacteria build up and the smell that comes with it. stick you air con on full blast for ten mins this helps kill the bacteria off for a bit

Steve
Hi Steve,

What sort of temp should it be set at when on full blast ??

Thanks

David

·
Registered
53 Posts
On my air con unit (which I'd think would eb the same as yours) if you keep pressing temp down you eventually lose the number and get an arrow pointing down or something similar. That's full blast.

I used one of the cannisters recently and forgot to change the temp, and just put the fan on full with the a/c in recirc mode set to the usual temp, which is 20C. Still seemed to fix the smell, fingers crossed :oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts