MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after he advised me to look at an audiocontrol crossover last week i've suddenly been tempted by pretty much every product they make.
But most of all, i've been looking at the four.1i
http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAudio/Products/InDash/Four1i.html
Right, what i was hoping was that this would boost my pre-out signal thus helping to eliminate noise/hiss in the system by being able to turn the amp gain down. Would this work? Also, the 4.1i can supposedly boost the signal up to 13V (that's max though, 9V continuous), and my amp, the directed audio 700/6 is quoted at 8Vmax. I first thought i'd just not turn the gain all the way up on the 4.1i, but then i started thinking.....
(time for my question) My head-unit only produces 1.8-2V pre-out, so am i right in saying this signal couldn't be boosted up to the fulll 13 (9V) anyway so i don't need to worry about it? Also, does anybody rate this product at all?

Another option would be to get the HPX which boosts the signal in the same way, but i lose the some of the funky bass-control and equalliser functions, but i get high-definition expansion (HDE) instead. Read up on it below.
http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAudio/Products/InDash/HPX.html
Which would any of you choose? I can prob get the four.1i a lot cheaper and is prob more functional. Also, could i use the equaliser functions on the unit to get rid of the problem i've been having of my component speakers overpowering the system? Are 4 controls enough on an equaliser to really give you the control you need for that?

Thanks for any help
Andrew

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
arby1 said:
Are 4 controls enough on an equaliser to really give you the control you need for that?
Rather than answering the whole thing, let's just say my answer to this bit is "no". A 2/3/4/5 band parametric EQ (one where you can change the centre frequency and Q) would be fine, but not a graphic where the frequencies are fixed. If you don't understand the difference between graphic and parametric EQ's, there's a great tutorial by Harry Bo in the FAQ section on www.talkaudio.co.uk

Line drivers are unnecessary. My system output voltage is 2V, and that's enough to avoid any noise (ok, I have noise at the moment, but it was fine for months, and I've gotta try and diagnose it.. it's not the voltage's fault though).

Most people won't get beyond 1V of the output anyway, even if their preouts are 4V.. and the difference between 2V and 4V is only the last 3 volume steps on the headunit. Headunit volumes usually equate to a 1db increase per incrementation, and 3dB is a doubling of voltage.

If you want a cheap EQ, look at the PG EQ215, EQ215x or EQ215ix - can be picked up for less than £100 2nd hand. As for noise - if you get it, fix the problem rather than trying to hide it by boosting voltage.

Cheers

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts