MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blair & Brown have just said that they have talked to the Chinese today and a deal is not out of the question still.

The original joint venture is dead, make no mistake. This can only mean a take over now really....

Full MP3 of the press conference...

clicky (2.49mb, 6 mins)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
He obviously felt P4 were responsible (not the DTI surprise surprise) and will now just hand the whole lot to the Chinese with all the IPR etc. Just watch.

but he had nothing firm to say other than he wanted production to continue.

Chinese takeaway.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Brown and Blair did seem fairly positive. They talked about keeping as many people employed and as much production as possible. I dearly hope the situation will reach a positive conclusion.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If it's a Chinese takeaway, then there's nothing left for Longbridge. They'll simply ship the whole lot to Shanghai, where production costs are far lower, and shut up shop here. There wouldn't be any point in them doing anything else.

Probably call the it the 'Lover Car Company', too.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NEWS24: John Towers will be interviewed within the hour... I'll MP3 it and host it shortly.

G

·
TV is on downstairs at a very loud volume as I'm upstairs. I've lost loads of weight running up and downstairs. Have done hardly any work! Fortunately she is out!

G

·
Come on MG Rover - i'm going to get mum to buy a new 25 asap. I think we shuld start to rally around the company and dealers and stop being so gloomy

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
I am not a Labour supporter. I have NEVER voted Labour in my life. But if Tony Blair and Gordon Brown can pull off a deal that saves about 50% of the workforce then I will vote for them!

Why? The Tories and Lib Dems have not come out and said they would do anything to stop MGR going bust. Labour is still trying to resurrect a deal. I believe a deal is possible. IF they pull it off I will back them. I live in a marginal (Warwick) which will be slightly influenced by the MGR crisis. If Labour do their duty I will vote against much of what I believe in and vote for them.

My view is that we should all back the politicians who promise the best deal MGR. If Howard comes out and offers something better I'll vote for him. Same with the Lib dems. Use your vote wisely!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Save MG (and Rover...)

Just posted my (French) point of view on the BBC site, we'll see if it goes through...
Anyway, it's more passion than anything else from me, but I had a Rover 25 with no problem at all.
Now I have an MG TF, I'm so happy to be driving it.
Losing this company would be a very very sad loss.

I have a feeling that focussing on MG could be a good thing however, since it does have a better image (MG=sporty car, plus most people here in France thing MG=MG TF), whereas a lot of people (here in France) see Rovers as old people's cars.
Interestingly, most people here also don't realise that MG and Rover are the same brand (there's not enough 25/ZR to make the immediate association), and I was also surprised when going to Italy a couple of years ago to see far more MG ZRs than Rover 25s (which is not the case in France). There were quite a few ZRs indeed...

·
Registered
rover_75
417 Posts
Having been out and got absolutely scuttered tonight, all my mates were so kind, they all know my family and know I have spoken not with words but with my own money and never lost the faith.

There is some hope. I detest this government greatly but if they pull this off, there is some redemption there. Not for me but for what I care about, the 20,000 good people that make miracles.

If they can make cars at Longbridgeand get SAIC to their original deal, we all know just how close they are to some seriously competent kit, my faith in the governance of our great country, whatever your politics would be restored.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Blair & Brown have just said that they have talked to the Chinese today and a deal is not out of the question still.

The original joint venture is dead, make no mistake. This can only mean a take over now really....

Full MP3 of the press conference...

clicky (2.49mb, 6 mins)
\

I am hoping that the design of RDX/60 is owned by PVH. For Longbridge to continue it needs new models. If PVH own the designs, then hopefully it can go into production under a reorganised company. That also means SAIC won't be totally in the drivers seat. I'll be really annoyed if HMG is trying to shut JT out of these negotiations just so they (the government) can look heroic if a deal is done..

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
And if SAIC have sh1t on MG-Rover then they should use another engine if it is true that SAIC own the K series.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts