MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Blair is going to Birmingham today? he must of flown direct to Birm Airport, I guess he has to be shown to be doing something.

MG is a really great brand, and I've seen many people being interviewed on TV singing the praises of the TF and want it to continue production.

I've just got this feeling, MG will continue if Rover doesnt

·
Registered
24 Posts
yeah the reason i chose mg is because their not the same ol thing you get from the likes of ford etc,i mean i dont think theres much variation in their cars if you look at focuses and fiestas youll know what i mean.I love my zr its nice to be different but this is the problem everyone buys the same run of the
mill cars all the time and this doesnt help

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, I think that the last Rovers roled out of Longbridge on Wednesday afternoon - I cannot see them ever being produced again, athough I would love to be proved wrong.

MG is definately not dead though, and I can see a profit in Longbridge being scaled down to produce the MG range, plus X60, which if offered at a good price really could bring the company into better times. We know the engineering capability is there, but the question is will the administrators be willing to find a finance package for MG to produce the car?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Whilst I hate to admit that Rover as a brand may be finished I don't think we should throw in the towel just yet. Why make it easy for them to do nothing. Write to Blair, Brown and that joke of a Secretary of State for Trade and Industry and tell them you want them to save the British car Industry.

Don't accept any guff about EU rules either. Everyone else breaks them whenever they fancy so why shouldn't we. Do you think this situation would ever arise in Germany, France or Italy?

Don't be taken in by Blair and Brown going to Birmingham either. Apparently their advisors have made it clear to Radio Five Live that this is all about showing the staff at Longbridge that they sympathise with their plight rather than actually bringing any constructive plans to help with it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Tories and Lib Dems will now stick the boot into Labour over this and rightly. But they are more relieved than anything- Longbridge has been an ominous political cloud over their heads for too long- they are just pleased that the collapse happened on Labours watch.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
i can honestly just hear them saying what type of deal they have for the staff that are going to be made redundant. i really hope im wrong on this but i think hes just showing his face to say hes doing something about it when hes actually not

sad sad day

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
I find the LibDems confused over this. Their spokesman on Trade and Industry (cant remember his name but we have come across him here before) obviously didnt give a ****, and when asked what car he drove stated "a German car".

Then you have John Hemming who we recall did an awful lot to support the Pheonix Consortium five years ago, who seemed extremely angry on the news last night, and obviously didn't share his party's view over Rover.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts