MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 75 CDT tourer 2001.

The car is std. 115 HP model (not tuned asfar as i know). Does fine mpg (45-50 mpg) and seem to have good torque and power. No smoke seen form exhaust when driving 'normal'.

But when throttle is pressed fast a substantial amount of black smoke are seen (i cannot believe it's normal ? it's as if the ECU cannot catch up the swift throttel movement) It haens both when driving and when stand still.

I have tried following but with no result so far:
-Cleaned Oil separator PCV
-Cleaned EGR and manifold
- Shifted MAF (old bosch with 60K mile) to non OEM (chinese i guess)
(no difference felt when MAF disconnected )
- Ckecked air filter (visible inspection - looks fine)

Have anyone got a good idea what more to look for ?
How can i determine whether the car is tuned ?

I have ordered a Rover Ron MAFAM + Pierburg to see - maybe that helps but i do not thinks because the problem seems indifferent to the two MAFS i ve tried so far).

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
How much smoke is it making? If it is just a little puff of smoke that quickly dissapates then that is probably normal. If it is a big thick cloud that hangs about for seconds/minutes then that is probably not normal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey - thanks for responses !

check your intercooler hoses for splits:"
Have visually checked the hoses - seems fine. Confirmed well also by that the car is well accelerating. Will look once more

How much smoke is it making?
If it is just a little puff of smoke that quickly dissapates then that is probably normal. If it is a big thick cloud that hangs about for seconds/minutes then that is probably not normal"
It is a 'medium-thick' puff of smoke - can hang around for seconds not minutes. It's there both when accelerating and when just throtteling on stand still.
Todays driving it were much less - if it keeps on that way a theory could be-
!"after cleaning of PCV it need to get rid of remaining oil residuals in the intercooler form before the PCV were cleaned " does that sound resoanable ?. Have also used diesel cleaners maybe that could help too.
Anyone have the same problem on af 75 - or is it not a problem ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smoke problem solved with Rons'Mafam!

Got the Pierburg and mafam today - fittet easy.
First test ride with 8'o clock -. no smoke at all - it works! thanks Ron.
At 8 clock some hesitation when acc.
1'oclock - no smoke when stand still. When driving good acc. but smoke when full booting in 2'nd - found it perfect at 10'oclock. Nice acc and no smoke at all.
So my is best at 10 clock - seen others go for 2 clock with pierburg.

Thanks Ron for at good product.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts