MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had to go to a rover dealer today to pick up a locking nut socket and thought i would ask about the tb mod for the r25 1.4. Guy there said that there ware no differences between the plastic and alloy tb fitted to the 103 model but that all they ever did to modify the 84bhp model was to cut off the restrictor bit of plastic, no change of cable or tb. Just though id let you know if you wanted to up the power of your 25.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
kev25v6 said:
Guy there said that there ware no differences between the plastic and alloy tb fitted to the 103 model

True but the plastic ones warp. The alloy ones don't and give a smoother throttle action. I replaced them on both of my Rovers and the 200, being 10 years old, had quite a noticeable difference. Performance is the same as neither were restricted (the 400 is a 1600 anyway) and it doesn't look as cheap under the bonnet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stweedie said:
Does anyone know exactly where this restrictor is on the tb, any photos?
look at your tb. pull the throttle cable and you will see a bit of plastic that hits on metal, this is the bit that stops it going all the way round. Its very obvious when you look at it

·
Registered
rover_75
215 Posts
kev25v6 said:
look at your tb. pull the throttle cable and you will see a bit of plastic that hits on metal, this is the bit that stops it going all the way round. Its very obvious when you look at it
Thanks,
it's actually for the wife's 25, i'll have a good look next service.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
The restricted TB has a different throttle cam, just increasing the cable length/tension will lead to all sorts of problems in my experience!

·
Registered
rover_75
215 Posts
Dr Dave said:
The restricted TB has a different throttle cam, just increasing the cable length/tension will lead to all sorts of problems in my experience!
Aha! Thanks for that, i suspected there had to be a catch somewhere.
Just one further question would a TB from an earlier R200 do the job on the 25, i was at a breakers recently and he had a few 97/98 Rovers in the yard, they certainly look similar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts