MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Quoting ic brum "They are saying they hope to start production of the 75 again two years after the closure of the factory, by April 2007."

This is really good news and we here are happy also wish Nanjing all the very best!

I wonder also if they are building 75's as well as ZT's????
Here's hoping
Chris

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Thats excellent news. I wonder what styling changes and engine line up will be with the new car. Maybe even a completely new car?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I know it says the TF will be produced here but does it actually say that the 75 will be made here or are they making a general statement that it'll be produced by themselves either here or China?
I didn't realise that Nanjing actually had bought the Rover name from BMW, when did that all go through?

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
morris-mg said:
I wonder what styling changes and engine line up will be with the new car. Maybe even a completely new car?
Nanjing have signed off ARUP's designs for a 'new' car based on the R40 (former Rover 75 / MG ZT) platform, from what I can gather the design is quite different including some new panels rather than the usual change in bumper designs.

The new car is likely to be called the MG 7 (standard version) and MG 7Z (sport version) as BMW no longer have plans to sell the Rover marque but may consider licensing it however they (BMW) are keen to retain the marque as it is a 'natural addition' to their existing portfolio of classic British brands.

·
Registered
256 Posts
red_rover said:
Oh yes ;) You can quite often find me wearing my BMW tie and blazer set!
chic indeed ;)

Well this is great news, I really hope ARUP's styling delivers the goods in managing to blend the MG-Rover styling heritage with a modern look that will appeal to a wide proportion of potential buyers. Too much of the latter would dilute the brand, but too little really would mean a repeat of history with poor sales. Not an easy task but I really cant wait to see!

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
BMW aren't being too awkward with Nanjing as they are allowing continued used of proprietary BMW systems and technology icluding K-Bus and Z axle however they have not allowed SAIC the same privileges.

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
fantastic news, at last some light at the end of the tunnel, coincidently can someone please explain to me what the mgtf tooling is exactly??/

·
Registered
295 Posts
David Lee Newsham said:
BMW aren't being too awkward with Nanjing as they are allowing continued used of proprietary BMW systems and technology icluding K-Bus and Z axle however they have not allowed SAIC the same privileges.
WOW It's nice to know that B*W are backing the plans! To be honest I have felt the 2 75's and 2 ZT's on the same market was going to be difficult. Also it would strech the loyality of our members to the max. I do hope SAIC doesn't get a hold on the European market as it would undermine the fantastic work Nanjing are doing.

Does anyone know if Nanjing has the rights to the ROVER name???
Regards
Chris

·
Registered
251 Posts
morris-mg said:
Thats excellent news. I wonder what styling changes and engine line up will be with the new car. Maybe even a completely new car?
I read somewhere that it will include a 1.8 Turbo Diesel - don't quote me though!

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
aga said:
I read somewhere that it will include a 1.8 Turbo Diesel - don't quote me though!
Sadly aga, that was Auto Express waffle - they claimed it was a 1.8 Turbo Diesel G Series engine, which doesn't exist. The G Series Diesel is 2.0 only.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts