MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
My Brother uses it in his 600, runs fine, but its a git to start when its cold. I tried it in my Zed, but it didn't like it at all, sounded like a tractor, wouldn't rev properly and was a ***** to start!
Jim
Edit, The 600 is a thirsty begga now

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have been running 100% biodiesel for the past 18 months on my 75 CDT and it loves it. In the winter I drop to 85%, because my biodiesel is made from partly hydrogenated used cooking oils, and solidifies if pure, at around 5C

Make sure the biodiesel you use is good quality. Well reacted, well washed, properly dried.

Many manufacturers assume it will be blended with petro diesel, so don't take the care you might expect.

The best way to be sure of the quality is to make it yourself - really!

Or if you do buy it 100%, make sure you get impartial 3rd party recommendations on the stuff before you put it in your tank. There is some rough stuff being sold out there.

If it is good quality, your car will be quite happy with it, and will run with a lot less 'clatter' than when using petro-diesel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi McNark,

Thanks for the info.

Impartial scientific information about biodiesel isn't readily available it seems. There's reported benefits and huge losses attributed to bio-diesel being used in modern diesel engines, neither of which appear to have much scientific proof backing up the claims.

As bought B100 is only 10p a litre cheaper than regular derv, the savings don't outwiegh the risk of damage for me at the moment. Will wait till more is known about the long term effects on engine longevity I think.

·
Registered
48 Posts
But homebrew costs only 20p/litre to make and then there's 29 ish pence per litre tax to pay, so half price!

And, we expect to have a 0% tax concession sometime later this year for home-brewers who make 2500 litres a year or less.

So then it will be 1/5 price !

If you have the spare time to call it a 'hobby' and the technical inclination, homebrewing first-class biodiesel is really economical and satisfying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts