MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These Binacles and covers appear very difficult to get looking for a silver one and a black top cover piece anyone know where to get. Mine is cracked in many places. Would Martin Smith in east lydford summerset have them:unsure:

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
795 Posts
I have a replacement binnacle from Paul Jakabi (the guy mentioned in the link) and it is an excellent reproduction and is much sturdier than the original.

·
Registered
mgf
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Martin Smith just sent me a new binacle cowl with the MG logo on it and it has the 3 lugs on the front to screw in to secure from that common rattle problem. My old cowl rattled and I found the 3 lugs broken but I put a little run of black mastic all round and smoothed it off with my finger, it solved the problem. Now the new one has lugs how do I access the screws as the old broken ones are still in there. Think I saw something here that its a dash out job but maybe someone has a way to avoid that happening. Aany ideas welcome:unsure:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I did not know that the binnacle has an MG logo on it; the dash has the MG logo in the centre but the binnacle/cowl.......

If you had bought the Jakabi cowl, fixing the new binnacle is easy.

In your instance, getting the existing screws out is not a problem using a pair of pliers on the screw ends; you then use a magnet on a long extension to get the screws/washers out from the air vents at the back. The challenge is how to fix the 'new' binnacle to the dash and to do a proper job so the lugs do not break again (in my view they will break again); I cannot see how you get the screws in from behind as within the dashboard's integral air vent. One solution is to follow the Jakabi design of the lugs which push into the holes left by the old screws (no screws are necessary).

2/3 rds down this thread is your answer I suspect...https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/89532-instrument-binnacle-cowl/124241?start=0

·
Registered
mgf
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not know that the binnacle has an MG logo on it; the dash has the MG logo in the centre but the binnacle/cowl.......

If you had bought the Jakabi cowl, fixing the new binnacle is easy.

In your instance, getting the existing screws out is not a problem using a pair of pliers on the screw ends; you then use a magnet on a long extension to get the screws/washers out from the air vents at the back. The challenge is how to fix the 'new' binnacle to the dash and to do a proper job so the lugs do not break again (in my view they will break again); I cannot see how you get the screws in from behind as within the dashboard's integral air vent. One solution is to follow the Jakabi design of the lugs which push into the holes left by the old screws (no screws are necessary).

2/3 rds down this thread is your answer I suspect...https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/89532-instrument-binnacle-cowl/124241?start=0
The MG Logo is on the underside showing thats its an original MG part. There is no logo on the front although I may look at putting an MG Badge there. I did'nt get the old screws out just lined up the holes with the screws and put black mastic there so they would stick. There was a slight gap:rolleyes: around the cowl so filled that with the mastic and cleaned off excess. All done now. Should have put coloured bulbs inn the dash but did'nt. Wonder could brighter bulbs be fitted in lieu here.:unsure:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts