1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trophy has 40s on the rear and 45s on the front
Im thinking about changin the tyres to 50s so the rides a bit softer
do u think this would be possible .also is the spedo red fom the front or the rear ...cheers rich

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
I'm sure it's been done before, but i'd be thinking would it rub the arches, and of course it'd knock your speedo out a bit. :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Recommended Trophy tyre pressures are 24psi front and 36psi rear (from Trophy handbook supplement) and the speedo takes it's reading through the gearbox which drives the rear wheels. So, if you change the tyre profile your speedo will read out.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Driven many Trophys and even though the suspension is hard, I would still say it's more compliant than even a standard TF, let alone one with lowering springs!.
That's interesting Mark I've had passenger laps in a few TFs, modded and not. None seem as stiff as my standard Trophy, except where adjustable shocks have been fitted and wound up.
Anyone got a good source for the comparative spring and damper rates.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I don't think changing the tyres to 50 series is going to give Trophyboy the results he is looking for nevermind the insurance implications. I don't know what the roads are like around Liverpool but they are probably poop like the majority of other places. The Trophy is not the car for city or town roads that have been beaten into submission by buses and trucks. Manhole covers are usually put in the right place so that they are at least 3" below what is laughingly called the normal road surface. Picking your way through humps, holes and manhole covers is not fun, no wonder then that people drive 4x4s! The Trophy is for good fast roads (when you can find them) or the track. I've never driven a TF but I have been a passenger in one and although the ride is firm it's not as hard as the Trophy. I can remember reading a test report on the Trophy where he said after driving it you would like to go for something softer - like a bed of nails. Where this leaves Trophyboy I'm not sure perhaps another car for the daily grind.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The ride is ridiculously rough, and I have screamed till im blue in the face millions of times when going over big speedbumps or particularly bad roads, more for the damage it is doing to my tracking/tyres/suspension that what it is doing to my arse cheeks.

But........it adds to the fun of driving alot of the time, I think. Instead of just pootling down the road at 30 without a care in the world, you have to watch the road ahead and slalom around the manhole covers, drains and potholes. You probaly could do alot of things to make it a softer ride, but think of what you will be losing when you get it onto good surfaces!!!!

Grin and bear it Trophyboy, its worth it!

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Fit standard MGF suspension if the ride is too harsh. The ride in "normal" MGFs is lovely.

No doubt someone will want your Trophy bits too.

Would polyflex bushes help at all?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts