MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
what a guy
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok chaps, bit worried about this, whenever I brake VERY hard (pretty much only when i do an emergency stop) there's a big BANG coming from the front, sounds kind of like a big piece of plastic popping out of shape if you see what I mean, then if I accelerate hard again it does it again (like its popping back again?).

1999 220 SDi.

any ideas?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I would also check the front suspension tie bars. It sounds possible that the bushes are worn or a nut may have worked loose. If there is the slightest concern about your suspension get it checked immediately because, as I'm sure you realise, a failure could be catastrophic.

I speak from experience : the front suspension on my daughter's Clio failed at 70mph on a dual carriageway causing complete loss of control. She hit the central crash barrier and bounced back into the surrounding traffic. Miraculously she got away with it although the car was a write-off. The problem appeared to have been caused by the bolt through the lower suspension arm bush having worked loose and then gradually elongated the hole in the bracket until it broke right out, allowing the wheel to move outward.

·
Registered
15 Posts
take a look at th chassis. i once snapped the front member on 1 of my old cars and it was doing the exact same as what you are saying

1 - 5 of 5 Posts