MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pre 95 R214 SEi none ABS and the standard brakes are sh*t to put it bluntly. It's got solid disks and EBC pads, what can I do to improve braking?, can I get bigger disks and calipers from another Rover or MG? It's 4x100 pcd.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
From other folks EBC does'nt seem encouraging.My '93 si has stock brakes with unipart solid discs and ferodo pads and it stops like hell.Too many peole sway from oem or unipart stuff when really they are quite efficient anyway.

Anyway get it on the rollers to see how bad they are then start with junking the EBC, which from what I hear requires a fair bit of tempreture to acheive full efficiency.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
What is wrong with the braking you've got. Is the pedal travel too long (usually stuck rear self adjusters or old bulging brake flexi-hoses)? Do the brakes fade? Is the pedal spongey - air in the system or old brake fluid? Can you lock up the wheels on a clean dry road at speed? If so then there isn't a problem.

On my 93 214 that I've just got rid of the brakes were standard (probably original) solid discs and cheap-ish pads. Apart from the long pedal travel due to faulty rear adjusters which I never did bother to fix, they worked just fine and would happily lock up at 70 on the motorway, (when I wasn't paying attention and the car infront suddenly had stopped!).

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,907 Posts
Provided the original equipment is in good serviceable condition, the brakes on your car should be well up to the job. With age, mileage and yes, even neglect (maybe by previous owners), braking performance can deteriorate on ANY car.

Some years ago I bouight a Rover 220 Turbo and the brakes were frankly ... inefficient* ..;)

Spent a leisurely day removing, cleaning, lubricating (sliders) and adjusting (winding back rear pistons) each of the four calipers and fitting UNIPART pads all round. Also drained all the old brake fluid and supplied bled with fresh DOT 4.

That TRANSFORMED the braking perfomance on that turbo! So good in fact that it was like a brake upgrade. I kid you not. Check and ensure the original equipment you have on your car is near the mark and your car will brake much better.

* Previous owner fitted EBC pads .... not impressed but they were not the sole reason for poor braking.

·
Registered
classic_rover
197 Posts
The brakes on my 400 have always been excellent (standard spec).

Had a fresh set of discs, but you'd expect that after 140,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
EBC grooved and drilled disks were my favourite, except with a solid disk there can be loads of brake fade. I found on my old 214 that with just those disks that the car brakes better than my Vi with grooved front disks, greenstuff pads and standard disks at the back

1 - 6 of 6 Posts