MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went on holiday for 2 weeks and my car was out in the weather whilst i was away due to no garage and i haven't got round to Buying one them folding car covers yet which is my plan just there so pricey.

My car has some rust spots nothing bad just surface rust i was going to fix in summer anyways I noticed when I got back from my holiday that a new rust bubble has appear at the bottom of my door, quite bad needs attention now to avoid having to buy a new door. I'm guess due to being sat still and being hammered with rain constantly it got in the window seal, so as well as fixing rust I think in summer when its warm and I have more time I will investigate how it got bad.

So for now just going to knock it back clean it up and spray the rusted metal with a preventative paint, and then come back in summer and fix it professionally with colour match paint and what not so for now i just want to stop it getting worse.

So my question is what paint is best?

I know halfords make there own rust paint, and there is also hamerite and some other brands I'm not familiar with. ideally a spray can version would be best for even coats.

also any tips would be great.

cheers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
In terms of preventative paints Zinc182 and por15 are often recommended on classic car restoration type places with some really good results.

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,134 Posts
.....I'm guess due to being sat still and being hammered with rain constantly it got in the window seal,
It is more likely that the rust was there already, and has simply reached the point of bursting through the outer door skin now - it certainly hasn't just started in the last couple of weeks to perforate the panel.

If it has rusted through from within and perforated the metal, you will have to cut out the rusted area and then either weld in some new metal, or use some aluminium mesh and bodyfiller.

As far as surface rust goes, the problem with a lot of the revered anti rust type paints and coatings is that they work principally by covering the rusty metal up with a thich tough layer of 'paint' - often the rust will burst through again after a few years and it will need doing again. Whatever you use, I would recommend doing the work during a period of dry weather when the rust has dried out fully, and remove as much surface rust as possible with a wire wheel on a drill or grinder, or possibly a flap disc on a grinder, and then soak the area thoroughly and repeatedly with one of the tried and tested rust killers that are available, to try to kill the rust that remains in the deeper pores before using a rust inhibity primer prior to paint.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Spent a fair bit of time de rusting an old mini. My TF has subframe surface rust.
I tried rustbuster fe 123 but struggled with it. It needs rust to bond to. Any are that does not have rust it leaves a latex like layer. I ended up painting it on with a fine art brush, just dotting it over the rusty area but no further.
I then got bored. So stripped back to the metal and used correless rust treatment. On top of that i used epoxy mastic on the rear subframe and experimented with corroless glass fibre reinforced chassis black. No rust through yet but the fibre paint is not smooth. No good for body panels. Great for underneath though. Arc-rite sell it.

·
Registered
mg_zs
18 Posts
I have used rustbeater epoxy mastic for years on several cars. As long you can 'seal' the rust in it doesnt reappear. best to remove as much rust as possible but not always practical if difficult to get to. It's great stuff and fills pitting as it's so thick. A layer of Dinitrol inside the door will ensure it's air tight. No oxygen = no rust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts