Votes: 34 32.7%
  • 75 v8 RWD

Votes: 16 15.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
If it had been built a little bit better, I'd vote for the SD1.

Stylish, Uber practical, well ahead of its time, and a Dominator in the BTCC of the era. A symbol of 80's, especially when all the good British films set in London had them as Police Cars, i.e. An American Werewolf in London, A fish called Wanda, etc.

Plus the fact the Vitesse V8 was to die for.

·
Registered
mg_zs
716 Posts
What about the 200 ?? My 214 was still going strong a year after the speedo stopped working and was showing 177177 miles . . .

cheers, :beer:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
Hasn't this poll been done before? Or was that worst Rover? Anyway P6 is so good I don't feel guilty about voting twice.

·
Registered
36,379 Posts
well I've voted for the Mk1 400 - which in 420 GSi Tourer form, was marvellous.

Mind you that was partly because the Mk2 200 doesn't feature in the poll!

pat

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,894 Posts
I was going to tick the box alongside the Rover 220 Coupe Turbo .... my personal favourite best-est .....but it aint there ..:(

The 1960s Le Mans Rover Gas Turbine car was quite a good looking Rover too - saw it in action .... Oh alright then ... please yourselves ..:D

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
P6 without any shadow of a doubt. The last truly great Rover, although the SD1 would nearly have been there if it had been built by anyone other than BL. P6 was also the last Rover that seriously threatened to squash the Germans. The 75 is at last a step back towards great Rovers however.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
The 75 has to be the most complete Rover ever.. every time i see one, it grows on me further.. If ther present management had used their heads it could have been the car to save the company.

Second is the SD1 still a stunning car today.. if only thay had built them properly

Third the P5 amazing in concept and execution..

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I've been looking at this for 5 minutes and can't decide! It's between the P5 and the SD1. Er...I think!

The P6 was the best car (in it's day) of the ones listed but somehow it's just not my cup of tea.

The 75 is excellent too, but then it would never have existed with out the P5!

Does anyone else have a soft spot for the 600?

oh alright, I'll decide. P5 it is!

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Easily, and by a country mile, it has to be the P6. The P6 was arguably one of Britain's BEST EVER cars. Here is why it beats all other Rovers:

P6 was a top seller - It took Rover from the small time to the big time. It was the biggest selling Rover ever at one time! SD1 and 75 failed in this respect

Reliable and well built for it's day - Unlike the SD1

Brand promotion - has done more for the Rover brand than any other car Rover has ever made.

Technically advanced - disc brakes all round for example. Move the game on (unlike the P5 or even the 75)

Light - Unlike the P5

Styling - Modern looking and lightweight (compared to all previous Rovers), no facelifts needed!!!!!! (unlike the 75)

Rover V8 - Yes you could get it with a class leading ROVER V8, not the Ford lump.

What ever way you look at things, no matter how much you adore the styling of cars like the SD1, you have to say, the P6 was the greatest ever. In fact it is possibly the greatest car in it's class that has ever come out of this country! Forget the 75, as good as it is, it will never achieve what the P6 did!

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
andy said:
I can't decide between P5 and P6. : pulling my hair : :err:
Andy, what is there to decide on? I'm begining to think I'm obsessed with the brilliance of the P6, but in reality I guess it just upsets me that this is one of the most under rated cars ever!

I keep wondering why the P6 isn't better appreciated by Rover fans. I partly blame the motoring press for all this. If a car is sexy and sporty, it's always considered in a top 10 poll of greatest British cars. If it's a family/ executive car it's barely considered. I wish we Rover fans would appreciate just how brilliant the P6 was, and why it should be considered as damn near legendary.

People, wake up to the P6. Spread the word! Rover can make reliable, forward looking, technically advanced, and comfy cars, in one package!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
To people like you and me MGROVERnut the P6 is a no brainer. It really did set the mark very high... and though BL did not follow it up with a car in the same style and quality, BMW at least took note and did.

P6 was the first of the modern middle class aspirational cars that made the likes of BMW and Mercedes the fortunes they have today. And it was actually not a pretentious car for it. I would bet Lexus, Infiniti, BMW and Mercedes wish they could produce a car as on target as P6. Not to mention Rover.

It was a big risk for the rather stuffy automaker Rover in the early 60's. But I would go so far as to say that P6 more than any other reason is why MGR retains the name Rover...

It is also a perfect template for any modern Rover saloon/hatch. Even today the car is brilliant looking.

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
I would have voted for the P6 but it saddened me too much to think that Rovers best car was 40 years ago!

75 get's my vote - in any form

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
MGROVERnut said:
I keep wondering why the P6 isn't better appreciated by Rover fans.

People, wake up to the P6. Spread the word! Rover can make reliable, forward looking, technically advanced, and comfy cars, in one package!
1) One reason is that the car is 30+ years old, and many many Rover fans won't remember it even second hand much less new

2) People should indeed wake up to the P6, I love it, but you can hardly convince people that Rover is forward thinking by demonstrating it on a car they designed over 4 decades ago, and haven't produced for 30 years - people would just laugh.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
cityrover said:
1) One reason is that the car is 30+ years old, and many many Rover fans won't remember it even second hand much less new

2) People should indeed wake up to the P6, I love it, but you can hardly convince people that Rover is forward thinking by demonstrating it on a car they designed over 4 decades ago, and haven't produced for 30 years - people would just laugh.
And when they stop laughing - they'll see that it was a classic forward thinking design. A new ALL ROVER design, a four seater with rear wheel drive, good build quality and perceived status!

Unlike todays 45 & ZS which are based on a two models out of date Honda!
or the 25 & ZR which have underpinnings dating back to 1990!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Old Codger said:
And when they stop laughing - they'll see that it was a classic forward thinking design. A new ALL ROVER design, a four seater with rear wheel drive, good build quality and perceived status!

Unlike todays 45 & ZS which are based on a two models out of date Honda!
or the 25 & ZR which have underpinnings dating back to 1990!
Don't start with that "old underpinnings" rubbish, pretty much any manafacturer does this. There's been many non-MGR examples mentioned before e.g. the Ford Ka engine etc etc.

And the 45/ZS's double wishbone suspension is very advanced, and rare on any car today. Besides there have not been two Civic's since the one the 45/ZS is based on, unless you count new light clusters as a new model.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts