MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 10 month back i had horrific brake squeek so i took the car in and long story short, got replacement solid discs and new pads. Although the braking was vastly improved am still not happy at the total lack of feedback you seem to get from the brakes.

Is there anything i can do to improvments things without the cost of a full brake upgrade? Worth looking at braided cables??

Don't really know much regarding car braking but i know changing cables to braided kit makes masses of difference a bike when i did it :)

What kinda money would i be looking at for a basic uprated setup??

·
Registered
221 Posts
Decent Brake Fluid, with a full system bleed and refill makes a world of difference. When it comes to Solid Discs some swear by them and others don't. Bottom line, brakes need an operating temperature to get the best from them.

Solids heat up quicker, but unfortunately suffer when too hot, the dreaded brake fade.

Vented are good but again suffer from cooling down quicker but they do offer a little more stopping power.

Grooved and vented, are great but suffer from low temperature issues if not being used ie. motorway driving.

Mintex pads seem to do the job on both solids and vented, but if you really want stopping power I would go for Brembo, but there are other higher end braking kits available. Choices are vast and up to the individual really.

Hoses may help but again along with higher end brakes and components.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Grooved arnt much good really, unless your going for a really proffessional setup. The grooves in the discs tend to cut into the pads an awful lot, thus making your brake pad life very short.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I adjusted my handbrake to the limit,by that I mean I adjusted each rear drum until that it was tightish to turn ,then altered the pull on the handbrake lever so that the slack on the cables was as its minimum.The result meant that the rear shoes didn,t have far to travel on braking and with a new set up on the front braking was vastly improved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts