MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
rover_600
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading some reviews of portable navigation units, tom tom go seems to fair pretty well and is about £400,has anyone any experience of portable satnav units that stick on windscreen/dashboard?

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The Tom Tom is a great machine. I have had it on the windscreen mount for the past 3 months and it has not even fallen off once. The battery is not to good only seems to last a week but you do get the charger for in the car. Also there is updates on the Tom Tom website and other updates from 3rd parties like speed cameras and alike. The Navman in PC World for £300 is best to be avoided I had the joy of using it for a day and I was glad to get rid it kept losing signal and the maps wear not very clear. I am not a fan of the PDA style ones as there is loads of stuff to move in and out of the car when you take it out or put it into a friends car etc.

·
Registered
rover_600
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only downside Ive heard about tom tom go is its bulkiness/weight due to heavy speaker inside,but apart from that seems to have a good reputation

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've had a TTG for the last 3 months and it 'does exactly what it says on the box'.

Jane (you will understand who this is if you get one) now navigates me to all those far away places with no fuss and bother and unlike my wife doen't get annoyed when I ignore the directions when I know a better route.

It has to be the best of the bunch. My one replaced a Kenwood 7" DVD based system and IMHO is far superior.

The big speaker gives very good sound quality.

AL

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I've been looking at Tom Tom Go and very nearly ordered one but have found you can only set one "stop off" on a route and you can't work out a route in advance and save it.
With this in mind, I'm looking at the Navman iCN510 which seems to have everything the TTG has plus multiple "stop-offs" and the ability to save routes.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Strange because my TTG lets me plan a route in advance ok it cant be saved but if you should need to make the journey in the feature it does short cut it in the memory a bit like the Auto Fill function on Internet Explorer. Also mine enables me to make more then one stop off admittedly you need to mess with the POI (Point of interest) to get it to do it. This might have only happened when the software was updated as I knew it was on the net so I downloaded it and the 1st thing that I did was update it.

·
Registered
rover_600
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes they are still expensive for what they are,400 quid is a lot of dough to spend on a navigation toy to stick on dash, so I want to be sure Im getting something that does what one wants it to do

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Sejin26 said:
Strange because my TTG lets me plan a route in advance ok it cant be saved but if you should need to make the journey in the feature it does short cut it in the memory a bit like the Auto Fill function on Internet Explorer.

I was looking for one which would let me set several stages of a journey and save each leg, for when we drive down to the Med coast in the summer. I understand from a users forum that saving a route isn't possible, much less the 3 legs I'd want to be setting up. For TTG to do what I would like isn't straightforward whereas they are built in features on the Navman.
All the TTG reviews I've seen have raved about it and I very nearly bought one.....

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
It cant physically save it on the card at the mo but who's to say in the future. The 3 stages could be done but it would be tricky to work round it. I hope that Navman you was on about is not that cheap one from PC World as it was worse then the ones that came with cars 5 years ago. But Garmin do a good range with loads of features don't they.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
The Navman iCN510 is similarly priced to TTG and is a new model just released. The Garmin one I looked at (the Quest) looked really good (waterproof design etc) but the screen was about the size of a mobile phone's..... Not particularly good.
Problem is, I've used Garmin's mapsource software and was very disappointed. you could do a route with loads of via points and save it but it wouldn't download the route detail to the unit (Garmin Vista). When you read between the lines it wasn't "auto routing", ie it ignored the routing and did "as the crow flies". Useless for a car (despite it being advertised as a driving aid) and little more use for a wolking route.

·
Registered
mg_tf
329 Posts
I've been using the TTG for a while now and really enjoy it. I like the fact it is a single function box rather then a PDA or mobile phone version. It means we can swap cars and people easily. I have the car charger for it and would also plug it in.

I haven't been able to save journeys, but can save destinations. If I have a multi part journy, I just save all the places I want to stop and then just select the next when I carry on....not perfect, but good enough for me.

If I want to plan long journeys with stops to know how long the whole thing may take, then I will use MapPoint and compare the directions to the TTG.

The interface on the TTG is very clear and easy to use and I like the 3D map.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Get your self a NOKIA 6260 flip and a bluetooth gps unit and download some free mapping software for the phone, O2 contract £25 a month free phone and 100mis free anytime too, Just got the phone and its stunning if not alittle big,

tom tom mobile is avalible on ebay for £179 too and that works on it too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I personally prefer the Ipaq/Tomtom combination. A nice voice navigation system with the added flexibility of the Ipaq for files, MP3 playback and organiser etc.

I have a spare system if anyone wants one:

Ipaq 3630 - Used
Ipaq Cradle/charger
Ipaq Case
Tomtom wired GPS - New
Ipaq & GPS car cable/charger - New
Tomtom Navigator 3 installed
128MB memory card
Digital camera jacket with CF slot - Take pictures directly onto Ipaq screen - New

Ready to switch on and enter your route.

Email me if anyone wants it.

[email protected]

Wife doesn't make proper use of it.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
Read a load of TTG reviews too and they have the best maps to look at (imo), clear and concise.

Asked the wife for one for xmas, doubt she's that well off though so I've started saving already.

Can't wait :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sat nav

Hi i use the Garmin street pilot 111 the graphics in my opinion are the best i have seen - it is dead accurate - you can plan your routes on pc then download to your unit- or plan them out on the unit itself and save. Does everything you ask of it. The unit has never fell of my dash, and the portable antenna has never let me down. The downside is that when upgrading - the software is "CD - Unit Related" so you have to pay for the upgrades.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts