• SV

Votes: 19 7.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,891 Posts
The best one? - that's a hard call. There's a glaring omisssion from your list... The Metro 6R4...;) As ordinary production cars go, and lets face it most cars are ordinary, those in your list are all pretty good.

Had one or more MGs about the place since I bought my first one back in the 1960s: a pull handle three main bearing MGB in Tartan Red - the first of five such cars and the FASTEST of the lot - they got slower - thanks to the silly yanks and their emmisions malarkey - Despite all that - they're still causing more pollution and consuming our planet far faster than all the rest of us.

Since my first MG, many new and used ones later, the latest being a new MG ZS last year, the MG car(s) which have given me the most pleasure and owner statisfaction has been the MG Montego Turbo - that is still true : So the good old Monty Turbo gets my vote

·
Registered
classic_mg
5,392 Posts
Its hard to choose. I think the 80's MG's are finally being recognised as classics and they do have something about them, that I can't quite put my finger on..

Then you have the Modern Zeds which are techincally the best.

Sod it, I'm putting the Monty down :cloud9: :cloud9:

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Well I voted RV8. I'm sure I'll be the only person to do so as from what I've heard it wasn't very good, but I just really like them...

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
The "best" is such a subjective thing. But I'm a big fan of the A twin cam.
I'd love to get my hands on one. Especially a coupe.

I suppose if I had to be more general I'd vote for the MGA. The purest of the postwar cars in design and handling.

·
Registered
36,364 Posts
well the ZS is brilliant but I missed it on the poll.

The Pininfarina ZA Magnette is REALLY missing!

so I said the MG that with the Metro really began the modern MG brand - the Maestro!

pat

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
I think it really has to be the B - not because it was a great car - I'm sure all who own one can attest to all of its many many faults, but because it truly is THE car that defines the marque in probably every country of the world. Let's face it - despite protestations from some on here about how great their MG Metro/Maestro/Montego is/was if it wasn't for the nostalgic bordering on fanatical following that the B has enjoyed from the day it came out there would be no MG today. It's the goodwill and warm inner glow that the B created that kept the brand alive and made it possible to resurrect the marque properly with the F. Without it MG woudl be as moribund as Morris, Riley, Triumph, Vanden Plas, Wolsley and all the other British brands that disappeared in the 70s. So for me you have to think beyond the engineering - the greatest ever MG has to be the B.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
PatrickT said:
I think it really has to be the B - not because it was a great car - I'm sure all who own one can attest to all of its many many faults, but because it truly is THE car that defines the marque in probably every country of the world. Let's face it - despite protestations from some on here about how great their MG Metro/Maestro/Montego is/was if it wasn't for the nostalgic bordering on fanatical following that the B has enjoyed from the day it came out there would be no MG today. It's the goodwill and warm inner glow that the B created that kept the brand alive and made it possible to resurrect the marque properly with the F. Without it MG woudl be as moribund as Morris, Riley, Triumph, Vanden Plas, Wolsley and all the other British brands that disappeared in the 70s. So for me you have to think beyond the engineering - the greatest ever MG has to be the B.
I agree with you that the B is the greatest MG ever, but is the greatest same as the best?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
No offence but that list is either ridiculous or a sign of the times. There is only 1 MG from pre 1980 (assuming the TF you are referring to is the MGF's successor)! Considering MG branded cars first started appearing in the 20's there are some glaring omissions. Also, from your list, only the MGB was made in Abingdon, MG's spiritual home.

Anthony.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,891 Posts
Yes, there are some omissions in the list. One worth a mention, the mid-1950s MG ZA Magnette saloons. This model more than any other MG was responsible for starting this young schoolboy's life long interest in cars carrying the Octogon. Probably explains why I now still like the modern MG saloons particularly those from the 1980s - they continue the ZA Magnette concept exactly. Back then, a neighbour friend of my father's had a 'tuned' black ZA which even by modern standards, was no slouch and it made a lovely sound. Good looking car too. That neighbour was a car dealer and my father and I used to attend the cars auctions at Tewkesbury with him in the 1950s. Those trips to the auctions on fine summer evenings were a real highlight for me and nice diversion from the boredom of school homework. My father would drive back cars bought at the auctions. Great fun for a schoolboy. Thus for me started a life long interest in things automotive and gave me an insight into the true value of cars which has served me well to the present day ... ;).

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
The Magnette has often been put forward as a candidate for best MG saloon. I remain unconvinced. I do like the 1100 and have driven one. I have seen the Y-type though have never driven one. But I have never seen a magnette. Is it really that good?!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
Are all the Z's like that? Ohhh... Well, I'm sorry I said anything at all. Other than fantastic I mean! Still the A gets my vote.

But that might be a close second!

·
Registered
rover_800
11,771 Posts
smosquito said:
Are all the Z's like that? Ohhh... Well, I'm sorry I said anything at all. Other than fantastic I mean! Still the A gets my vote.

But that might be a close second!
there was the Farina version in MK III and MK IV, but they were identical and not many could spot the difference between them... this, the ZA and ZB were definately the best.........

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
As the F was the beginning of a new start for MG, it has to be the F.

Although my old man's TD Midget was a kewl car as well :p :

1 - 20 of 62 Posts