MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, please can you tell me what you think of "Auto Glym Super Resin Polish"
I have been told it's about the best you can buy... !!!

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
i use it seems pretty good! a lot of people claim meguiars gold to be better!

best thing you can do is try it and see what you think!

:)

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
Mike UK said:
Hi Guys, please can you tell me what you think of "Auto Glym Super Resin Polish"
I have been told it's about the best you can buy... !!!
Right technical bit.

AG SRP is a light abrasive polish containing a lot of fillers, the abrasion removes oxidised paint and the fillers attempt to mask swirls and light scratches. It also contains an artificial sealant to protect the finish against the elements.

by hand its a good one step polish, main drwbacks are that it isn't trim safe(will mark plastic and rubber trim) and its very dusty when buffing. on the plus side is easy to use gives good results and can be used even in direct sunlight.

Personally if i had to have just 1 product for use after a wash it would be SRP polish.

Further...
alternatives would be the meguiars Deep crystal paint system which does all 3 jobs of SRP better but requires 3 seperate products with 3 seperate applications.

I see above people are recommend megs gold class, megs gold class wax is a pure wax, it has no cleaning or masking facilities, as a wax its ok but not really what you're after.

SRP is best topped off with a sealant or wax, the ideal sealant to use is AG extra gloss protection which is designed to be a perfect accompliment to SRP. On top of this, for light colours I'd go for a wax such as Optimal Car Wax, which is a spray on wipe off wax but gives only limited protection, it needs topping up weekly. For dark colours id use a wax called nattys blue which is great on darker colours.

any more questions please

and once again I'll spam the link www.detailingworld.co.uk a great resource for answers to these questions.

andy

·
Registered
mg_zt
240 Posts
Hi Mike,
I use Carlack 68 and the Acrylic wax to go with it. Produces a fantastic shine and should last 6 - 12 months. Still got to wash the car but no need to polish just dry and shine.
Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
TimO said:
Hi Mike,
I use Carlack 68 and the Acrylic wax to go with it. Produces a fantastic shine and should last 6 - 12 months. Still got to wash the car but no need to polish just dry and shine.
Cheers
Tim
for reference carlack 68 is almost identical to SRP but is trim safe, you can buy it online but not yet found a shop that sells it. I is also called klasse All in One but is more expensive in the name

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
AndBurG said:
for reference carlack 68 is almost identical to SRP but is trim safe, you can buy it online but not yet found a shop that sells it. I is also called klasse All in One but is more expensive in the name
do you work for a valeting co? you sure are the dogs with this stuff mate!

:)

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
no i dont, i just like to keep my car clean, its terrible i drive round and all i see is buffer trails, swirls scratchs and holograms on peoples paint!!!

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
my old car is like that, dont want it to happen to the new one so will prob try some of the things from detailing world! like the 2 bucket wash etc etc!

cheers for that, its a great site!

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
you'll be amazed how much cleaner the wash bucket is than the tinse bucket.

also worthwhile giving the car a clay once in a while, to determine if you need to clay, put a thin plastic bag (food bag or summat) on ur hand and stroke your paint, its its not smooth you should clay it.

andy

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I've just been using that Turtle Wax Coloured stuff. Covers small scratches and swirls quite well.

Easy to apply, and easy to buff off, with no dust.

Just remember to wear gloves when using it, or you will have coloured hands for a couple of days, and don't mix the applicating cloth with normal washing otherwise you'll have a wardrobe of different colour clothes!

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
really? i will try the 2 bucket method and might even get one of those wash mits! i must admit i normally wash the car with whatevers to hand, washing up liquid, car shampoo (cheap stuff) etc etc but i wont be doing that on the new one!

i didnt know there was a difference between polish and wax either?!?!?
might try the clay stuff aswell (ill be bankrupt at this rate ha ha)

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
i spent £300 on tools and products since i joined that site and im buying a new pressure washer today lol

best to get a mitt, if only for the fact its nice and soft (beware women love to steal these its been documented), only £10

nothing wrong with cheap stuff, just make sure its good cheap stuff!!! for shampoo raid ur local vx dealer for sonax gloss car shampoo (its cheap and really good)

**BEWARE NEIGHBOURS MAY THINK YOU HAVE GONE MAD STROKING PAINT AND USING 2 BUCKETS OF WATER**

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
AndBurG said:
**BEWARE NEIGHBOURS MAY THINK YOU HAVE GONE MAD STROKING PAINT AND USING 2 BUCKETS OF WATER**
:lol:

i think i run that risk anyway im always messing about with the car!

hmmm i have a mate that works at vaux so might try that!

what do you reckon to the auto glym products? i used the interior shampoo and was chuffed with it, and the bumper care (when i had a corsa with black placcy bumpers) worked a treat aswell! i use the polish (i think its polish) now but to be honest im not happy with the results but dont know if thats because of the naff stuff ive used to wash it with 1st!

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
cant really go wrong with AG except for tha piant renovator, its almost Tcut.

preparation is what gives the shine not the final coat, wash and wax are the most important stages. msut AG products are also ver versatile. interior shampoo makes an excellent bug remover, vinyl and rubber care will protect interior trim, exterior trim, engine bay, sprayed onto dirty wheels is a great non caustic brake dust remover. bumper care and tar remover are both great products and do exatly what they say on the tub, best product is fast glass yet to find anything that comes close to this.

andy

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
have you used AG shampoo then?? just wondering if i used that to wash it
then the AG polish then say meguairs wax to finish off?

would that work?

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Have you got yourself a PC (rotory) yet andy?

They do a fantastic job of applying the wax/polish, and removing marks in the paint.
They are expensive, but seem to be well worth it.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
off the shelf stuff I'd use AG shampoo/sonax gloss shampoo, polish with SRP then seal with AG extra gloss protection on light cars, and on dark car id replace EGP with a good quality wax like turtlewax platinum or megs gold class

although most of my stuff i order online so from that i normally only use the sonax wash

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
Skelo said:
Have you got yourself a PC (rotory) yet andy?

They do a fantastic job of applying the wax/polish, and removing marks in the paint.
They are expensive, but seem to be well worth it.

Cheers
Skelo
yep i have but the paint on my alfa is fairly tough, will be giving it another go this weekend i think with some SSR2.5 o na 4" cutting pad. then SFX1 final polish, and 2/3 layers of tech wax

1 - 20 of 44 Posts