MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times do you ask someone to repeat themselves before you give up or it becomes awkward?
Someone I work with talks really quick and the majority of the time I can't understand him. I used to keep asking him what he said but it got to the point he thought I was taking the ****. Now I pretty much agree to whatever his incoherent ramblings are about then I walk off. I'm sure it can't just be me...

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
As I am deaf & wear hearing aids, I often have problems understanding what people say.
I ask them to repeat what was said pointing out that my hearing is poor.
It can get embarrassing, but it is always best to tell the person why you have trouble understanding what they say.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it'll be rude to say I can't understand him because he talks like an idiot, as much as I would like too...

·
Registered
7 Posts
When speaking face to face I normally get what the person is saying/meaning after they repeat it two or at most three times, but I work in a call centre and a lot of the times due to the poor phone lines and the fact that a lot of customers can barely speak English (and no I'm not being racist, just stating a fact) I have to ask more than that... It does get to a point though (normally on the fourth or fifth attempt) when you have to give up and either skip over the question or guess what they said!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
87 Posts
it is bad when you have to work with overseas people .they know English but NOT LOCAL ENGLISH. ,,BUN, COB, BREAD CAKE . BAP, ROLE

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
it is bad when you have to work with overseas people .they know English but NOT LOCAL ENGLISH. ,,BUN, COB, BREAD CAKE . BAP, ROLE
Hmmm, do you know all the different versions of spanish for example? Are you fluent in another language? I very much doubt it, so get off your high horse. At least they are trying to get a job and support families etc.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
87 Posts
Hmmm, do you know all the different versions of spanish for example? Are you fluent in another language? I very much doubt it, so get off your high horse. At least they are trying to get a job and support families etc.
i have never been to spain so i would not know ? as for the horse my both Grandads had them for pulling drayes,carts and plowes,i was allowed on one as a child , we will leave the job bit out, when we go up to Northumberland i also have to ask again as i do not get what they say,

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,163 Posts
I don't think Glyn was getting on a 'high horse'. Colloquial usage of words is a problem for non-native speakers in any language. I have the same problem with imported workers as Glyn does. I don't work abroad, and am not likely to do so, so what problems there may be with Spanish isn't an issue ;)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
87 Posts
in 1970 1 had a day trip to France , not been overs since as i could not understand them,had funny money and drove on the wrong side of the road,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts