MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been squinting at my Exhaust ...

.. for the last 5 years now, thinking that the tail pipes were not quite level, but difficult to tell. It had to be an illusion.

Now I've replaced it I can see that they were. Funny ol' world. :haha: :haha:

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
So all along it's been you that's ******, not the tailpipes! :lol:

EDIT: I can't believe the P word is in the swear filter.. :shake:

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nope. Not the best pic but if you look carefully, you can see that the tail pipe at the back of the pic is pointing down at more of an angle than the near one. Just could never prove it when it was on the car.

EDIT
Oh well it was interesting to me, just not to the other 50 viewers here :dunno:

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL. Fair play :D

Just wondered how many others might be driving round with bent exhausts from new.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Don't say that, am just about to fit a trophy exhaust, you'll get me paranoid!

Now, where's that spirit level :banghead:

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ever reversed into anything low or do you think its out of alignment from new?
No, spotted it the day I picked it up new from the agent. Metioned it to him but he 'couldn't see it'. Its just taken me 5 years to prove I was right, you can't sight across both pipes when its on the car.

Be interested to see what your spirit level tells you Rob.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What exhaust have you replaced it with then? Or is that for a new thread?
No, got a Phoenix Mk1 off the bay. Not the greatest buy, spotted a cracked weld on the bracket so had to get that fixed for the price of a pint first.

Not to sure I like the look of it now its on but sounds great though. Not driven behind it yet. In the cab, moderately loud but especially very deep trotting along at 3k Revs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My F has done 72k and I am surprised it is still on the same exhaust. Has just been welded as the heat shield was sitting on it apparently so it must be in ok condition. How long do they last?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never really heard of anyone having to replace them but recon you've done well. Think its more about type of use than mileage, its the acids that collect on short journeys and don't get flushed out that do for them.

Mine was 5 1/2 years old and I've been prodding it manfully with a screwdriver in an attempt to justify getting a SS replacement. In the end gave up and bought a second hand cheapie.

If you want to make you'rs last, have a look under the strap, that's the only place mine was looking a bit thin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts