MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some Jammy [email protected] on the continent has won £44m on the lottery tonight. He/She just might be the biggest MG/R enthusiast in the world.

Or not

Goodnight all, hope it gets better in the morning, especially for those fine people on the line at LongBridge

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
If i won 44m i would put a little bit aside and then be knocking on the door of PWC to see what was salvageable with about 35-40m

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
I only match a number and a star number... no win.
Oh well, there is the national lottery tomorrow though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Who in their right mind would use there lottery winnings to waste on trying to sort Rover out?

I Can't see the reason for uproar , no one wants rovers so they don't sell many and because the union refuse to cut the workforce, rover simply only lose money.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Bazzer_Mcbead said:
WH00P! WH00P! Sense of Humour failure! Sense of Humour failure! WH00P! WH00P!
Oh come on. i cannot see the point of all this stuff.

A few MGR fans wont make much difference, lets be honest. From a business point of view it makes no sense to carry on.

I won't say anymore as i might get banned for not following the herd.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Say whatever you like. Nobody has ever been banned from here solely for expressing an opinion. But if you can't see the point of 'all this stuff', why are you here?

John

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
JohnSwitzer said:
Say whatever you like. Nobody has ever been banned from here solely for expressing an opinion. But if you can't see the point of 'all this stuff', why are you here?

John
Fair enough, just think you are all upset and trying to find someone to blame other than MG-R. Simple facts are no one wants the MG-Rs currently on offer, MG-R employ too many people for the amount of cars they supply, and they have no money whilst losing money with ineffecient operations

Toyota in Derby employs about 5000 people, yet make 900-950 cars per day!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
JohnSwitzer said:
Erm, very good. But this isn't a Toyota forum. It's an MG and Rover forum ;)

John
Please dont patronise me with winks

The numbers show why Rover are going down.

8000 People to make 67,000 cars
5000 people to make over 270,000 cars.

Now i think you will agree that is one big difference and kind of highlights my point about looking past rover, it seems no one has compared them to other manufacturers but are yet complaining of them hving trouble. I am disgusted that MG-R have continued to operate so badly

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Erm it was 6100 people to make 105000 cars actually last year.

But comparing Toyota and MGR is pretty pointless. It's like comparing WalMart and a 7/11. Everyone knows Longbridge is making far too few cars.... that's the problem ;)

John

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
JohnSwitzer said:
Erm it was 6100 people to make 105000 cars actually last year.

But comparing Toyota and MGR is pretty pointless. It's like comparing WalMart and a 7/11. Everyone knows Longbridge is making far too few cars.... that's the problem ;)

John
Well the news said 67k but im not a MG-R Expert like you seem to be.

So why do they still employ so many people if the demand is not there?

they only need 2500 employees really so lose 3000 jobs and that will save the company £60 million per year! But the union wouldnt except this and now everyone will lose there jobs

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Well up untill a few months back they still had that stupid "Jobs for Life" scheme that BMW had set up, which made MG-R unable to make any workers redundant until it had been overrulled.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Because unlike Toyota's operation they undertake engine assembly; gearbox assembly; panel stamping; administration; sales; finance; purchasing; R&D; personnel and operate their corporate headquarters from a single site.

Toyota's plant by contrast is much more of a screwdriver operation, with many of these activities being undertaken elsewhere.

Additionally, they produce 8 different models at Longbridge... more than any other plant in Europe, making it Europe's most flexible plant ;)

John

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Everyone complains but put yourselfs in their situation. Wouldn't you have done the same? Think about it...

Who is going to employ Directors of a failed Company after everything goes belly up? What the P4 did was entirely down to human nature and they shouldn't get as much critisism as they do for it IMO... As probably everyone on here and byond would probably have done the same.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Well the news said 67k but im not a MG-R Expert like you seem to be.

Don't believe everything you hear on the news.

And no I'm no expert. Just an enthusiast :)

John

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
This is where we're sorting the wheat from the chaff....the real enthusiasts with a deep love of the company from those who just happen to own a Rover or MG at the moment...

We're all supposed to be enthusiasts on this site, and this site is where the press will come for feedback on the grassroots feeling on MGR whether we like it or not.

Freedom of speach is one thing, but at a time when MGR really, really does need us more than ever it would be nice if, just for a while, we could try and put a positive spin on things?

If you've got nothing nice to say, think about not saying it, cos slagging off P4, raking over past mistakes or running down the company at this stage in the game is not helpful. Enough people in the media will be doing that over the next week to last us all a lifetime!

·
Registered
mg_zr
401 Posts
david_r_bates said:
This is where we're sorting the wheat from the chaff....the real enthusiasts with a deep love of the company from those who just happen to own a Rover or MG at the moment...

We're all supposed to be enthusiasts on this site, and this site is where the press will come for feedback on the grassroots feeling on MGR whether we like it or not.
Yep, agree with you. I am devastated not just for the 20,000 or more people in Britain that could lose their jobs, but also the potential loss of MG and Rover names either to another country or even from the face of this earth forever!! The MG and Rover names and Longbridge are a symbol of the West Midlands however I feel that if the P4 had managed to pull off this deal with SAIC and turned the companies fortures around over the next few years, MG and Rover could have been a National Symbol like B*W, VW, Audi and Mercedes are National Symbols of Success in Germany.

Everytime I think of the current situation, which frankly is virtually all I've thought about over the last few days, my heart sinks. I truely feel gutted for the managment, workers and all MGR enthusiasts.

I just hope this Phoenix will rise again, stronger than ever!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts