MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got in the 214is 98 r-reg to find yet again the battery has gone almost dead over night. last night i had the same problem, sounded like the battery was flat but eventually it fired up and drove fine. now the i had an issue where the battery was leaking, when i opened the filler holes one was completely dry, the others were all at the same level. would this section drying out ruin the battery? ive topped it up with what fluid i had left (not much) and it seemed ok for a while. should i just top it up properly? or bin it and get a new one?

many thanks in advance

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do think its wrecked then homer? if so i'll go and buy one in a minute, thats if i can start my car cos now the imobilsers armed and my fobs not dissabling it lol its gonna be one of those days!

·
Registered
632 Posts
one was completely dry, the others were all at the same level. would this section drying out ruin the battery?
In a word, yes. Once a cell has dried out it is very unlikely you will be able to recover it.

If it's leaking then topping up will mean you're diluting the acid (not to mention corroding the surrounding bodywork). More likely, though, is that the section has developed a fault which is causing it to boil off the electrolyte during use. Either way it's scrap.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
then its a done deal, i'll go to the local motor factors and get one, is it worth getting a heavy duty battery, like a diesal one or will a standard one be ok?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I personally don't think it's worth spending extra to get a heavy-duty one. An H4 45Amp-hour is specified for both the 1.4 and 1.6 so I wouldn't bother going higher. I have found the maintenance-free ones (with the 'magic-eye') are very trouble-free.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
I always stick the biggest battery the carrier will hold in to the car, i've found it useful on many occations. But thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anyone recommend a good battery? maintenance-free with magic eye? never heard of those before, got a link?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
found an exide ultra 063 battery at motor world for £53.99, fit and forget, magic eye and a 4 years warranty. Anyone used this model? recommendations?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts