MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery lamp stays illuminated after I have started my 214 SEi, it then goes out when the revs go above 3000. But keeps coming on when the revs drop. The battery voltage is about 11 when the light is on but then rises to 13 when the lamp is off.

This still happens even though I have fitted a new alternator, I have played around with the fan belt tension but with no sucess.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
So you have replaced the alternator, checked the belt, but you get a low charging condition when the revs are low?

I would say that you are either seeing rotten cables causing high impedence, or you have a short somewhere. Also check for oil or other contaminants fouling the crankshaft pulley and making the belt slip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am thinking more of an electrical problem somewhere because sometimes when the lamp goes out it doesn,t come on even when the revs drop and other times it does. There must be a cable problem.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I don't often disagree with Ingram, (cause he knows what he's talking about) but I think you've hit the nail there.

Either you have replaced one faulty alternator with another faulty one, or you have a cable/earthing problem there.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Or....the [potentially] bad wiring has trashed the new alternator...seen that many times before.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts