MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted in 'ask the gurus' http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=126517
Nut thought I would add in here. Any links to diagrams points to check voltage from alternator back would be great.

Hi, I am new to these forums, as a couple of months ago I bought my girlfriend a P-Reg MGF, over the past month, I have had a Head Gasket Replacement, Alternator and Cam-Belt Replacement, New Bulkhead, New Seat Belt Tensioner, this car is starting to cost me far too much money! The current problem is, the Battery is not charging, I have replaced the batter with new and the alternator for a replacement (from ebay, probably should have bought new) and I am getting exactly the same problems as before replacement, the battery light on the dash come on until you rev the engine above 3000 revs, what I'm more concerned about though is when I put a multimeter across the battery with the engine running, the voltage only shows ~12.1 volts, surely this should be reading ~14v (i.e. charging). Are there any fuses etc I should check, surely this isn't right....

Many Thanks
Pete Cowie

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Sounds like your fleabay alternator is faulty.

I would bite the bullet and get a new one.

They're not cheap but it should solve your problem.

Because the light is going out at 3k+ rpm it doesn't sound like a fuse.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,034 Posts
I think that there are two types of alternator for the F depending on if the car has EPAS or not.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
There are 2 types of alternator.

YLE101530 up to 2001 (A115i-85 Amp)
YLE102430 all models with Air Con or CVT or 2001 onwards (GCB2-85 Amp)

Each type is available new or exchange.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked the voltage off the back of the alternator last night and I think it came back as 6.7v, think this means new Alternator, any one know the best place to get one from? Or ideally somewhere in the Harrow, West London area that would supply and fit one for a reasonable price. Already paid for the last one to be fitted and really don't want to keep throwing money at it. Interestingly enough the last place that looked at it opened the coolant reservoir while the car was hot and when I checked there was no coolant in the car, got to fill and bleed it again...

Thanks in advance
Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts