MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:err: hi,im a learner in this car business,my problem is that my battery keeps going flat on me..,i have a powerpack and jump start the car but if i turn it off and try to restart about 10mins later the battery light comes on and battery is flat... how do i find out if i need a new battery ?,or need a alternator ?, or starter motor ?. (i dont want to be ripped off by the garages...) please help.. thanx (i own a rover metro)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The cheapest ,least technical way here would be to put a new battery on.Make sure all cables are tight.If it turns over ok then your starter is ok.If it goes flat after a few days of using the car you might suspect the alternator.Remember,when you start a car,you have to do a few miles to put back in what power starting it used up.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Alternator test

Try to get hold of a volt meter, connect to the battery with engine running. Turn on lots of electricals: say lights, rear screen heater, fan full speed. Running the engine at about 3,000 rpm (mid revs) you should see around 14.3v. much less and it's the alternator.

I've seen a fault where the battery light goes out but the alternator still doesn't give much charge.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I dont think you need a new starter as with power it starts ok?

can you borrow a battery of another car as see if it performs normally, if so its your battery,
if its the same with a different known good battery the alternator may not be giving a full charge, but it sounds like your battery cant hold its charge no more so I would suspect its the battery,

Car parts places like halfords and motorworld do free battery tests, but if yours if poor proberly tell you to buy one there and then LOL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is it supposed to be 'very' tight?...because it does have a little slack in it....i can push it down abit..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts