MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BANG & OLUFSEN AUDIO SYSTEM FOR THE AUDI A8 SETS NEW STANDARDS IN AUTOMOTIVE SOUND QUALITY

The Audi A8, one of the world’s most technologically advanced saloons, is now fitted with the world’s most technologically advanced In Car Entertainment. All Audi A8s sold in the UK are optionally available with the Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System, a beautifully engineered audio system that offers completely new standards in automotive sound quality.

The first in-car sound system from the renowned Danish hi-fi experts, it has been tailor-made to the exact acoustic characteristics of the Audi A8’s interior – its size, shape and materials. It even automatically adjusts to the speed of the car, to maintain the rich musical experience.

‘The sound quality of the new Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System matches the best high-end stereo systems for the home,’ says the managing director of Bang & Olufsen UK, Derek Mottershead. ‘We believe this is unique in the in-car entertainment market. The system has been specially developed for the Audi A8 and was the result of close co-operation between Audi and Bang & Olufsen.’

The sound system is specially developed for motoring, and will provide a unique musical experience for both driver and passengers. Its acoustic brilliance is achieved partly by the use of innovative new Acoustic Lens Technology that ensures an even horizontal dispersion of higher frequencies into the car interior, and partly by using Bang & Olufsen’s patented digital amplifier technology, ICEpower, that supplies the 14 speakers – each with its own dedicated amplifier – with more than 1,000 watts of power.

Acoustic Lens Technology uses two moving acoustic lenses, one mounted on each side of the A8’s dashboard. When the sound system is turned on, the acoustic lenses elegantly rise to position themselves on top of the dashboard. They provide superb clarity, tonal balance and detailed acoustic staging, and the music appears from where it is best experienced, at eye-level, in front of the listeners. The acoustic lens contains a tweeter with its own built-in pressure chamber. A dedicated amplifier is connected to it. The sound is radiated a full 180 degrees, eliminating the limited direction beam of conventional tweeter design. The design allows all occupants to have a full stereo experience, regardless of where they are seated. The lenses disappear when the system is turned off, gently retracting into the dashboard.

All loudspeakers are mounted in sealed enclosure cabinets for superior acoustic control, compact size and to prevent sound escaping outside the car, and each unit is custom-made for the A8. Each door is equipped with two loudspeaker units, covered in a discreet aluminium grille.

A full-range driver is mounted in the centre of the dashboard, controlling the staging and timbral characteristics. The lead vocal in all music appears to be standing right in front of the listeners. A 200mm long-throw subwoofer is mounted in a 10-litre enclosure in the rear parcel shelf, to ensure the lowest frequencies are reproduced with maximum performance and control. Two full-range drivers are also housed in the rear parcel shelf.

The Bang & Olufsen-patented ICEpower digital amplifying platform is extremely efficient and produces little heat. It combines Hi-Fi sound quality and high power, and is a key reason why the new Advanced Sound System breaks all previous performance barriers in car audio quality and density. It is also amazingly compact and light, a prerequisite in good automotive audio design. Its footprint is less than a sheet of A4 paper, and its height of only 6.3 cm includes amplifiers, power supplies, diagnostic capabilities and microprocessor control.

‘Just as Bang & Olufsen is renowned for its innovation and quality, so is Audi,’ says Derek Mottershead. ‘That’s why Audi was the right partner when we wanted to launch a new and unique high-end audio system into the automotive market.’

‘Bang & Olufsen’s expertise in collaboration with the Audi engineers has enabled us to deliver the best in-car entertainment system possible,’ says the director of Audi UK, Jeremy Hicks. ‘This state of the art, technologically impressive in-car entertainment system perfectly complements the award-winning ‘Vorsprung durch Technic’ technology of the Audi A8. This is a very good reason for discerning consumers, seeking the very best in sound technology, to choose an Audi A8.’

The Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System is optional on all Audi A8 models and cannot be retro fitted. It costs £3,775 on the S8 and £4,500 on all other versions of the A8.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
"BANG & OLUFSEN AUDIO SYSTEM FOR THE AUDI A8 SETS NEW STANDARDS IN AUTOMOTIVE SOUND QUALITY"

I very much doubt it. Apart from their old linear tracking turntables Bang and Olufsen stuff sounds distinctly mediocre.

But it will look very pretty.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Londonbabe said:
"BANG & OLUFSEN AUDIO SYSTEM FOR THE AUDI A8 SETS NEW STANDARDS IN AUTOMOTIVE SOUND QUALITY"

I very much doubt it. Apart from their old linear tracking turntables Bang and Olufsen stuff sounds distinctly mediocre.

But it will look very pretty.
Still, at least it is not Bose.

·
Registered
rover_75
462 Posts
Eh you two don't be so negative!

The B&O automative gear will sound very impressive - so does the BOSE kit in Aston's etc....

For home audio they are not the best - you have to start looking at high end audio equipment for that but your paying for the style and design - admittedly a hefty premium.

Pete

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
sadtosee said:
Still, at least it is not Bose.
In my experience, Bose audio equipment is top notch.
B&O repackage other manufacturers technology in more attractive casing and whack a massive price tag on it. Their plasma TVs for example, are made by Panasonic. It's a bit like when you see everyday food items in fancy jars in delis and farm shops and charging double the price for the privilege.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I've always found Bose stuff a triumph of marketing over ability. True, it's not *bad* but is widely overpriced.

Their car systems in my view are frequently very poor and terrible value - many £1000 Bose optioned stereo systems are vastly inferior to standard setups in Fords, Toyotas and Volvos. Some of their home market stuff is quite clever but I find the sound very "unmusical". It's the classic "make it loud and add lots of base and people will think it sounds good" school of audio design.

In my view a good audio system is one where a piano sounds like a piano and a guitar sounds like a live guitar playing (or as close as possible). I've never found a Bose (or B&O) system which sets out to do that - they are designed to sound good in isolation on a 5 minute demo in a loud shop and look nice.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
n.b. I think I'm right in saying AML use Linn rather than Bose. Don't know what that sounds like - if anyone cares to lend me a so equipped Aston for a couple of days I will give an opinion. ;)

Bose seem to be the favourite car choice of VAG & Porsche. BMW use Harmon/Kardon.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Just one more n.b.: My A8 has the full-on Bose system in it and it sounds inferior to the standard stereo in a Mk 1 Focus so B&O can only be an improvement.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
702 Posts
rlxs said:
In my experience, Bose audio equipment is top notch.
B&O repackage other manufacturers technology in more attractive casing and whack a massive price tag on it. Their plasma TVs for example, are made by Panasonic. It's a bit like when you see everyday food items in fancy jars in delis and farm shops and charging double the price for the privilege.
Don't Panasonic own Bang & Olufsen these days?

This type of thing is common, though. My Panasonic television uses a Philips colour tube! Many manufacturers use parts and technology from other manufacturers, but badge it as their own.

·
Registered
rover_75
462 Posts
sadtosee said:
I've always found Bose stuff a triumph of marketing over ability. True, it's not *bad* but is widely overpriced.

Their car systems in my view are frequently very poor and terrible value - many £1000 Bose optioned stereo systems are vastly inferior to standard setups in Fords, Toyotas and Volvos. Some of their home market stuff is quite clever but I find the sound very "unmusical". It's the classic "make it loud and add lots of base and people will think it sounds good" school of audio design.

In my view a good audio system is one where a piano sounds like a piano and a guitar sounds like a live guitar playing (or as close as possible). I've never found a Bose (or B&O) system which sets out to do that - they are designed to sound good in isolation on a 5 minute demo in a loud shop and look nice.
That is quite simply nonsense - you can take home any of the B&O kit for home trial. Rubbish that it is meant to sound good "on a 5 minute demo".

Just for the record I own a NAD C370/216THX combination amp/poweramp with Rega Planet 2000 and Epos M12.2 speakers. The B&O units do not sound hifi purist like my kit but they are not designed with the audiophile market in mind. That does not however mean they sound poor.

Pete

PS I bet your one of those BMW bashers too.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
pshuttle said:
Just for the record I own a NAD C370/216THX combination amp/poweramp with Rega Planet 2000 and Epos M12.2 speakers. The B&O units do not sound hifi purist like my kit but they are not designed with the audiophile market in mind. That does not however mean they sound poor.

PS I bet your one of those BMW bashers too.
I think that is true, they are not designed for the audiophile market which is why I do not think they sound very good. Once you get used to a musical sound it is difficult to re-adapt. My point is that they sell primarily for the name and very effecient marketing, there are better less known products available at the same price which, if you're into music, will probably prove more satisfying in the long run.

I stick by what I said on Bose car sound systems though - a complete con. If you take Audi as an example, the standard systems before they did a deal with Bose were fine but then they deliberatly down-rated them so the expensive Bose option sounded better by comparison.

Oh and no, I don't bash BMW's. Quite the contary in fact.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
As a tone deaf driver and singer I had a HK setup once which was probably the most incredible thing I had ever heard. But apart from that I'm not much of an expert. B&O look pretty though. I have a NAD turntable too but sadly it seems to keep slipping off the parcel shelf.

BTW, I thought BMW used Blaupunkt? Well they did in my last one........ :dddc:

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
90% of car audio is an afterthought once the car has been made if i ever did lower myself to getting an Audi i wouldent go for that i would go to an audio specilist and got for the likes of Ranibow and genisis audio or Symphony as there the best in the buisness

1 - 15 of 15 Posts