MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grrr, MeGan's been fine up until now but I knew it wouldn't last!

So, she's started jerking when she's cold. Misfiring and generally not having any poke. Oddly enough, it started nigh on as soon as I put in some of that 99 Ron Tesco stuff.

I've just bought 4 plugs and a dizzy cap (don't ask, it doesn't have one, I know that NOW!). Just wondering if anyones had this problem before and what cured it? Leads are the next jump up the food chain for me to replace but I'm starting with just the plugs.

·
Registered
mgf
654 Posts
mine is getting a misfire on tick over and is a little jumpy on startup...

changed dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs and leads.. only FF left..

anyone got instructions on changing this?

James

·
Registered
mgf
654 Posts
one other thing.. would the sensor on the exhaust manifold have anything to do with this??

I know that the sensor was a little dodgy a few months ago when I was getting him through an MOT so some "repairs" where done..

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah thats the one i was thinking of!

just been to centre to get the new filter, touch wood!

Incidentally, if it's jumping, is it often anything other than plugs / leads / filter? Do the coils pack up at all (flippin eck, who put them THERE on the engine!)

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,460 Posts
I think coil packs are usually reliable but as with most things electrical or mechanical there is always a chance that a new one is needed. I would do the filter plugs and leads first.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Coil packs, like plugs and leads, can get dirty (externally) and lead to leccie losses via tracks made in the dirt. Not huge problem but worth wiping the coils with a contact cleaner solution while you are in there. Also wipe plug leads from time to time, if not changing them. I've spent too much time in the past chasing poor performance and finding it was really poor car hygene.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts