MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the Head Gasket done on Sat and collected the car from TS. However car was nearly empty and filled up at a tiny garage near by (wasn't a branded station like bp or shell ect.. just a tiny place) in princethorpe.

Anyway ive noticed this week my cars been running really rough and misfiring and kangarooing occaisionly (runs better when it warms up) and even idled at 1500 rpm for a bit until after a 15 min journey it calmed down back to normal idel speed.

Been checking my water and oil levels they seem fine. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be the fuel? Im going to run it to near empty and then use some engine addictive, and fill up with some good stuff like optimax maybe to hopefully clear it.

Before anyone suggests I've had new spark plugs fitted at the last service so they should be ok.

Cheers for your help on this one.

·
Registered
mg_tf
170 Posts
Hi Fran,

Its sounds like an ignition problem - I only know this from other cars - that when its misfiring but tends not to do it when warm the typical prob. is the HT leads - sometimes spark plugs - but sounds like you have that covered.

Would take it back to the garage and get them to check over the above etc - usually if it bad fuel the car would just not start.

The high idle sounds like a definite ignition/timing issue - would get them to check it all out.

Hopefully some help.........
l0necl0ne

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the advice mate... yeah I'll give them a go. Used some Redex fuel treatment along with some optimax. Hope this will help in the first instant.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Had the same prblem with my Alfa Romeo!!!
The dealer told me to change the fuel sensor but the guys here in the company's auto department told me to change gas station and put a bottle of octane boost and run it for a while on high revs.

Guess what? problem solved and never filled from "Aegean Petroleum" again!!!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Perry - Yeah seems to be running better now. Used some high octane fuel and some redox fuel treatment. Cheers - will stick to garages I know!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts