MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AYGO TO DOMINO’S FOR PIZZA

Domino’s Pizza franchisee Globell Ltd is using six Toyota Aygo hatchbacks to ensure that the food it delivers to pizza-lovers in the Northampton area always arrives piping hot and oven-fresh.

Globell took over the Northampton franchise of the world’s leading pizza delivery company last year, and has just opened a second store in the town. As with most Domino’s stores, around 70% of its business consists of home deliveries. The solus fleet agreement means that the 1-litre petrol-engined Aygos are replacing a variety of other makes of small car.

"We had been experiencing problems with servicing, and in the nature of our business we can’t afford to have cars off the road," said Globell director Dave Litchfield. "Our entire operation is geared up to get customers a high-quality pizza delivered to their door within 30 minutes of taking the order. In-store our pizza-makers make every pizza to order in the shortest possible time, leaving our delivery experts plenty of time to make a safe delivery on time. We know that customers will come back for more if we keep our promise, and that’s why we can’t afford any disruptions.

"We switched to Toyota because of its reputation for reliability," said Mr Litchfield. "We were also looking for less gear-changing and improved fuel consumption using the Aygos." The Toyota Aygo has an official combined fuel consumption figure of 61mpg and CO2 emission levels of only 109g/km, the lowest for any petrol engine on the market.

The decision has gone down well with Globell’s delivery drivers. "Some people object to driving logo’d cars, but our team-members are really happy to be driving around in the Aygos," said Dave Litchfield.

The three-door hatchbacks, in carbon quartz black finish with the familiar Domino’s logos on bonnet and side, "look stylish and attract lots of attention for the brand," he said. The first two cars were bought under a PCP scheme but a recent delivery of four more was obtained on contract hire through Toyota Financial Services. They were supplied by local centre Sims Toyota, which will carry out servicing and maintenance. Replacement time is three years or 36,000 miles.

"I leased an Avensis from Sims Toyota last September, and was so impressed by its customer service that it influenced my decision to go for Aygos for the business," says Dave Litchfield, who is still using the diesel Toyota Avensis T Spirit Tourer.

With time of the essence in delivering pizzas, and a delivery area extending three miles outside Northampton, Mr Litchfield is now considering adding satellite navigation to the Aygos’ specification – to ensure that none of his drivers can ever turn up on a doorstep with a cold pizza.

"At Domino’s, we’re always looking out for technology that will help us to get to our customers in the fastest and safest way possible," he said. "Satnav would certainly help us to navigate our way around new developments."

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
Presumably they didn't consider the Peugeot 107 or Citroen C1 because these manufacturers have a reputation for producing unreliable cars.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ian Senior said:
Presumably they didn't consider the Peugeot 107 or Citroen C1 because these manufacturers have a reputation for producing unreliable cars.
These people are probably aware that these cars are all the same and therefore I can only imagine that they simply had a better deal with Toyota!

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Ian Senior said:
I saw a prog on tv a while back that put the 3 cars side by side and got automotive engineering students from coventry uni to have a look. their verdict- the toyota is far better built... unbelievable!

·
Registered
113 Posts
StreetBoy said:
I saw a prog on tv a while back that put the 3 cars side by side and got automotive engineering students from coventry uni to have a look. their verdict- the toyota is far better built... unbelievable!
built in the same factory buy the same people, what a joke!

As you say, unbelievable...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Yeah, but do the three companies have their own acceptance criteria? And if so do more Toyotas get shipped back first time compared to the other two?
Ditto checks at the dealers...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
CitroenC4 said:
These people are probably aware that these cars are all the same and therefore I can only imagine that they simply had a better deal with Toyota!
Or they noticed that whilst the Aygo looks good the other two look like horribly lumpy plastic pieces of crap!

·
Registered
194 Posts
The C1 and 107 may not be a pretty as the Aygo but I'd rather save myself a load of money. The interior and everything is the same as the Toyota model. I've got a C1 (the wifes) and it's had no issues at all. Very impressed for the amount of money I pay for it.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
They look great little cars! I haven't driven one but I've driven a C1. It was quirky, cute, eyecatching, economical, fun and a peppy performer.

In short, it was everything that the CityRover wasn't :dddc:

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
If I won a C1/107 or aygo in a competition I'd be really delighted....the ideal small car for me - sorry I would actually prefer one of these new than a 10 year old 114GSi, although comparing it to a 200 or 25 is unfair as in that case I would have the rover!:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
toyota are in charge on the reliability and technical front, hence the toyota engine for example...
More than likely but theres a 55bhp non turbo PSA diesel in the range as well not that thats anything to get excited about. The 1.0 is a Toyota 12V. Great fun.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
they toyota is by far the better looking of the three cars..... id love one of those toyota sport ones, they'd look cool for blasting about town in

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
deelunn said:
they toyota is by far the better looking of the three cars..... id love one of those toyota sport ones, they'd look cool for blasting about town in
Yep exactley what i said.
I dont care if it costs a little more, its just miles nicer and higher class looking.
In that lovely light blue its just the bestest. Thats the kind of car people should have in built up areas.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
does any one know what the three manufacturers warrenties you get with it?

i imagine the toyota one being more comprensive - or are they all the same?

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
the toyota unit is also used in the Daihatsu sirion for example.

However I do feel that these cars look slightly expensive compared to some of the opposition, yet VW are being unfairly criticised for the 'expensive' fox by some car magazines when it is in fact at similar prices to the 'Aygo clan.' Having said that the base fox looks horrid with its cheap bumpers and the base c1 vibe/107 urban/aygo T3 looks quite chic.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
david_r_bates said:
Yeah, but do the three companies have their own acceptance criteria? And if so do more Toyotas get shipped back first time compared to the other two?
Ditto checks at the dealers...
Course they don't have three sets of inspectors. Totally undermine the cost savings in the first place. The plant is effectively Toyotas with the rest putting in money. Mores the pity Toyota didn't consider MGR a partner (no doubt as they couldn't see MGR surviving) Imagine this range as a CityRover...

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
xerif said:
Course they don't have three sets of inspectors. Totally undermine the cost savings in the first place. The plant is effectively Toyotas with the rest putting in money. Mores the pity Toyota didn't consider MGR a partner (no doubt as they couldn't see MGR surviving) Imagine this range as a CityRover...
There was a thread a fair while back, not long after I joined, and indeed just when the Aygo/C1/107 was under scrutiny, containing a photoshop image of a 'roverised' version of these cars. To be honest it looked pretty good in dark colours, does anyone have or recollect this thread to show?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts