MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
rover_45
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

When I put the car heater fan on there is an awful repugnent smell a bit like cats p*ss in the car.
Any ideas as to how I can sort this out please?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
exactly as Paul said..
my recommendation though would be to get the car to an expert for professional cleaning and deconamination..
air condition systems tend to "attract" bacteria that could be very harm full even for your health
particularly the bacterium called "LEGIONELLA" could get you into serious trouble!
so no smoking in the car!
and two tips
1) after use of the air condition let the blower on for about 5 minutes (with the a/c off) in order to let the system dry..
2) it may sound weird but it's wiser to use recycling air than fresh (don't know why probably to prevent dust smoke gas from outside-i was told to do so when i had my air condition cleaned)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
I think its a bit of a swine to change. Glovebox out IIRC.

I might be tempted to attack my airvents with a can of dettol and put it on boiling hot recirculate for half an hour, the face vents smell a bit :(

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
David Lee Newsham said:
To prevent the smell returning in the future make sure you leave your A/C permanently switched ON !
Not nessacary in the slightest, running it for 10 mins once a week is sufficient to keep the system in order.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Should tell you in the can, but from what I know you put the can in the passenger footwell, put the recirculation on, blower at max + cold and turn the airconditioning on, leave it on for like 15 mins with the doors shut and you outside and then return the settings to normal and take the can out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you intend using a grenade, best to cover your seats with old blankets or something and put the grenade on the floor of the passenger footwell and put some old newspaper underneath it. Tends to cover everything due to the aircon blowing.

·
Registered
rover_100
233 Posts
chudofbroady said:
So where do I spray this Wynns Aircon stuff and what settings do I make to the aircon whilst doing this?
It's better to take off the polen filter (maybe it will take you some 15 minutes to do it), then, downstream the filter, you'll find the evaporator (similar to a radiator). With the help of a small hose/tube, use the spray as far as you can reach (I'd say to use about 1/3-1/2 of the can here).

Then use the rest of the spray immerging the hose/tube through the 4 ventilation outlets. In all this process the fan should be off (of course, AC also off). Now replace the filter with a new one, close everything (you took some more 10 minutes for that) and then you can use the system as usual.

I replaced mine yesterday (as well as the resistor pack... :lol: ) and this was the filter:

with 10 months and 8.350 miles... :O

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
mmcomputing said:
Only for aircon equipped motors.

MM
The space is there for a pollen filter in them. Theres a blanking plate there instead which can be removed and a pollen filter put there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts