MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! This is my first post in the forum! :minxy: :minxy:

I have recently run into problems with these AVO suspension springs (MGZR) I got, so I thought maybe some one on this forum can help.

Yesterday I brought these new springs down to my local garage to be fitted for my ZR+105 (quoted £80 for all four corners, not too bad :=p: ), but the mechanic there told me that the rear springs are too short to go on the stock shocks, and that I would need some uprated shocks in order to fit the springs. He then went on to show me that the rear springs can even go in without compressing and they would just dangle when the car is lifted. I am obviously in no position to disagree with him due to my... limited... knowledge in mechanics...

Can anyone confirm if this guy is right? And that maybe the springs I was sent are not the ZR version? :( :(

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Some springs are shorter and some springs are wound differently, sounds like yours are the shorter ones... what people tend to do is cable-tie the springs to the cups on the shocks... apparently :bigeyes:

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
HI, welcome:)

Yeh, AVO springs are not progressively wound, they are just shorter....
I think thats the correct way of saying it!?

They are shorter than your standard springs...where as other makes....are the same length but compress differently...

Just fit them, then when you can, cables tie them to the cup holders at the bottom, they are not likely to come out.

Its not the worlds best solution...but if you want a decent set up you get koni adjustables or similar:)....

Mine passed the mot with mine cable tied last week.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Just do as Michael says, cable tie them to the lower part of the strut, even if you did this they would never become dislocated during normal driving, as the weight of the car will seat them very firmly.

The only reason to cable tie them is that when you jack the car they don't become dislocated, I had Avo springs on my 200 and they were like this and I never had a problem with them even at MOT time.

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! :URGOD:

Just spoke to that guy from the garage again, but he says it cannot be done. :eek:

So now I'll probably get 'em fitted next week together when the car is serviced at the MG garage in Uxbridge... But they just quoted me £150 labour as the job takes upto 1.5 hrs per corner.... :eek:uch: :eek:uch: But it's all worth it in the end I guess :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts