MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all want our ZT's and 75's to run forever, but there have been some recent posts demonstrating that some parts are not available or difficult to source.
Just on a quick search I found these for example, and I am sure there must be others:-

ZT-T fuel tank
1.8T cod-rods
75 cooling fan
fuel cooler for diesel
rubber door seals

Will this be a long term and worsening problem?
Are the Chinese going to make such parts?

When I had my first car, a 1956 MGZA, there were various people around the country making parts. Also there was a wealth of knowledge about what parts from later cars would also fit the ZA.

So if this problem is going to continue and worsen, I would ask:-
(a) Is there any indication that a small manufacturer may be interested in making the parts required for our cars?
(b) Would it be possible to maintain a list of equivalent parts from other cars which would replace the parts we need?

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
I think its just a temporary lull in the manufacturing process. All the parts will be readily available once again when the chinese get there manufaturing up to speed.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Agree with Phil, especially as NAC-MG have recommenced production of the MG7 in China.

Also, it is amazing how many lazy parts dealers there are out there. Out of the 40 or 50 odd parts I've been asked to enquire about, as they are "Out of Stock", only 2 have caused a problem.

One of them being glass for a Rover 75 Tourer, and another part of the rear suspension on the 75 Tourer.

All of the others have been obtained within 48/72 hours.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've just had a wheel bearing done at a local garage, pretty good and trustworthy but I got a different perspective from him. The first wheel bearing that arrived was the wrong one - he only found this out once the original bearing had been removed and hence destroyed. To get the correct part again he needed to order and it duly arrived the next day for fitting. the problem he had was that he couldnt move my car and it was taking up a valuable ramp space holding up other work.

He was royally ****** off and I can see his point. What he said was that he can only get MG / Rover parts from a couple of places locally. For a mainstream brand he has a much larger pool of suppliers and the chances are he can get hold of one same day from somewhere and he isnt inconvenienced as much.

He had taken all the precautions he could, the error was with the supplier who had got the wrong part but it was the garage that suffered due to limited parts supply. The end result is that he is now very wary of further work on Rovers / MG's.

Future problems could lie here in that small local garages often have enough work and can do without the extra leg work perceived in obtaining Rover parts - whether justified or not some garages will not / do not want the hassle of tracking down parts. This leads to what we would term 'lazy' garages - but I can see their issue. Try one supplier if not available sod it - move on to a customer that I can get parts easily for!

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
And thats why I said Lazy parts dealers - it isn't the garages that are necessarily causing the problems, it is the places that can order the parts.

Mind you, it doesn't help when you have garages spreading complete untruths. I went with a mate of mine to get his Fiesta sorted out, and heard a mechanic telling a woman with a W reg Rover 200 that she would have to scrap it soon, because most parts are unavailable. When I piped in, asking him what parts is he talking about, he did a complete about turn. Complete idiot.

·
Registered
261 Posts
And thats why I said Lazy parts dealers - it isn't the garages that are necessarily causing the problems, it is the places that can order the parts.

Mind you, it doesn't help when you have garages spreading complete untruths. I went with a mate of mine to get his Fiesta sorted out, and heard a mechanic telling a woman with a W reg Rover 200 that she would have to scrap it soon, because most parts are unavailable. When I piped in, asking him what parts is he talking about, he did a complete about turn. Complete idiot.
Unfortuantely when one parts dealers says to a garage that parts are unavailable that garage then doesnt bother looking to other suppliers - so it only takes a few bits of misinformation to be banded about as truths and it spreads like wildfire. When i mentioned supply from the likes of Rimmers to the garage his words were to effect of he has a life and cant spend all his day sourcing suppliers for Rovers! He was in a particularly bad mood at this point tho looking at his jobs list and my car stuck on the ramps :D

Its a difficult situation - i'm just glad that I know where to look for parts thanks to these forums and people like yourself!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
He had taken all the precautions he could, the error was with the supplier who had got the wrong part but it was the garage that suffered due to limited parts supply. The end result is that he is now very wary of further work on Rovers / MG's
This is true of a fair number of garages and large parts of the used car trade for this reason. People here look upon cars with some emotional attachment - to others it is a busines.

The reason much of the used car trade avoids MGR's and offers silly px prices is because they may involve some extra effort. They are just lumps of any old metal - if a MGR product involves 10% extra hassle and time then there are hundreds of other bits of metal they can make some cash out of. Why pick the difficult one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts