MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one will my car have? It's a 1999 V-Reg 200 1.4.
If I do the head gasket then I will be fitting a new one when putting the cambelt back on.

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
It should be an automatic tensioner given that it is a '99 car.

To be sure, if you PM me with your engine number I can check.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Any motor factors will be able to give you the right part from your registration no.
It will be the auto tensioner most likely.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Most likely yes, but definitely cant be sure as mine isnt! Mines a 2000 X Reg.

Technozen I want to check this with you where do I locate the engine number?

Is this the VIN?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Easiest way to tell is to ease the top belt cover to one side & look at it. If the tensioner has a 10mm headed bolt it's an auto type, the manual has an 8mm allen bolt.

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, what would the engine number be?
Say I had the manual tensioner fitted could I fit an automatic one and I also believe the belts are slightly different? I only ask as the automatic one seems easy to setup/align.
If I get back from work early enough tomorrow I will whip the top cover off and take a pic.

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
The engine number is stamped on the right hand front of the engine block, it should also be present on your registration documentation.

It will be in a format similar to this...

14K4FL36 277643.

You cannot fit an automatic tensioner to an engine that was originally fitted with a manual item or vice versa, and the belts are also different.

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thanks to Technozen it appears my car has the automatic tensioner fitted, though what baffles me a bit is why S8an's 2000 X-Reg has a manual one fitted when it's a slightly newer car???

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Well, thanks to Technozen it appears my car has the automatic tensioner fitted, though what baffles me a bit is why S8an's 2000 X-Reg has a manual one fitted when it's a slightly newer car???
My have had some sort of head failure and it was swapped for a manual tensioner head.
It should be automatic. From '98 they were all auto as far as I know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts