MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I would be interested eventually. And from the price steptronics fetch they might find a market in the UK too!

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
I wonder if the Automatics will have the same power output as the regular models this time? Because the previous model was the TF 120 Stepspeed, compared to the TF 135.

Hopefully ;)

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
I believe that was simply due to the fact the Stepspeed was limited to 6,000RPM, as the 135 develops most of it post 6K, that was the problem.

At least, that's what I thought...?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I think Shaf would be the man in the know with that one, IIRC he was part of the stepspeed development team? :)

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
In some of the original Nanjing press releases it was mentioned that the CVT box had been changed somehow to make it better. The in the sticky thread at the top of this page it is mentioned that the initial models will be a 120 CVT and a 145 PS unit. So maybe it has been designed to cope with more torque/power.

They must be due to release a full set of specifications and advertising soon.

By the time the new cars get to NZ my 120 will be close to 5 years old, so I might be interested. But MGR had dropped Trophy Yellow from the colour range for the 2005 range. Not sure if the Chinese will bring it back....

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
It looks like it will be brought back, as the press cars have been finished in Trophy Yellow.

I personally love the metallic burnt orange that they have shown.

·
Registered
mgf
845 Posts
HI,

Yes the original MGF steptronic transmission was designed around the 1.8 in 120 bhp tune. The transmission had a max speed of 6,000 rpm.

It is possible that Nanjing have had the transmission uprated to cope with higher rpm and torques. 145 Nm sounds suspiciously like a standard VVC to me.

Knowing a bit about how the chinese have been "Developing" the transmissions, they are willing to take much bigger durability risks. So they may have just altered the mapping to go up to high rpm and crossed their fingers. Same with putting more torque through the transmission.

I would guess the steptronic option would still be quite pricey because they are manufactured in Belgium and a seriously doubt they would license the manufacture to the chinese. But I could be wrong.

Shaf

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I would guess the steptronic option would still be quite pricey because they are manufactured in Belgium and a seriously doubt they would license the manufacture to the chinese. But I could be wrong.

Shaf
They might get round that by bringing the boxes straight from Belgium to Longbridge to be assembled there for the UK market. Don't know what they would do for China tho'

·
Registered
mgf
845 Posts
What I mean is that the price of the box probably will be similar to what it was under Rover. No savings due to dirt cheap Chinese labour.

The reason for the CVT 'box in the first place was space. There were no normal Auto's on the market to fit in the space. Also why they used it on the Mini. The only alternative I could see them possibly doing would be an automated manual. That would be more sporty than the CVT but lose a lot of the refinement.

Shaf

1 - 16 of 16 Posts