1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right... My cream leather interior was:

A: Filthy,
B: Cracked.

SO I went out and spent somewhere in the region of £10-15 on AG Leather Cleaner, and AG Leather Care Cream, which to be fair did improve things, however I was not really satisfied, so someone suggested Horsie Saddle Soap.

I thought it was worth a try so I went and bought a tub from the local "Countrywide Farmers" (was called West Midlands Farmers) for the princely sum of £2.49. This was genuinely the best £2.50 I have EVER SPENT.

The AUTOGLYM was expensive, hard work, and did not remove the ingrained dirt; the Saddle Soap was cheap, a lot easier, and a lot cleaner.

The saddle soap has two downsides: it smells a bit odd for a while, and where the leather was already damaged it has made things very slightly worse.

I can throughly recommend it to anyone with VERY dirty leather.

I will take some Before and After shots today, and post them up here.

Cheers everyone.

·
Registered
mgf
97 Posts
Right... My cream leather interior was:

A: Filthy,
B: Cracked.

SO I went out and spent somewhere in the region of £10-15 on AG Leather Cleaner, and AG Leather Care Cream, which to be fair did improve things, however I was not really satisfied, so someone suggested Horsie Saddle Soap.

I thought it was worth a try so I went and bought a tub from the local "Countrywide Farmers" (was called West Midlands Farmers) for the princely sum of £2.49. This was genuinely the best £2.50 I have EVER SPENT.

The AUTOGLYM was expensive, hard work, and did not remove the ingrained dirt; the Saddle Soap was cheap, a lot easier, and a lot cleaner.

The saddle soap has two downsides: it smells a bit odd for a while, and where the leather was already damaged it has made things very slightly worse.

I can throughly recommend it to anyone with VERY dirty leather.

I will take some Before and After shots today, and post them up here.

Cheers everyone.
Little hints like these are invaluable. I wouldnt rule out all AG products though based on leather cleaner....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Little hints like these are invaluable. I wouldnt rule out all AG products though based on leather cleaner....
I think you are right, some of their stuff is pretty good.

I would change the thread title to "Autoglym Leather Products SUCK..." but I don't seem to be able to.

·
Registered
mg_zs
80 Posts
Makes sense to me.

I only ever use Horsey Soap and Leather treatment.

These horsey type people have to keep Saddles and leatherwork clean in the roughest of weather/conditions, and as good old English horse Leather tack, is supposed to be the best in the world, and last for a lifetime....I would never use any other cleaner......

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stuff comes in a tub, and looks a bit like beeswax, but is custard coloured.

1. Rub a damp cloth across the surface of the soap, so the cloth has a layer of soap on it.

2. Rub soap evenly onto leather, one panel at a time, and then work in.

3. Instructions recommend you let it dry and buff with a cloth, however I need to do several coats to remove all the dirt, so I wipe it off with a damp cloth, rinse the cloth, and repeat the process.

4. I am then treating it with the autoglym Leather Care Cream I already had, to protect it.

Thats about it...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The stuff comes in a tub, and looks a bit like beeswax, but is custard coloured.

1. Rub a damp cloth across the surface of the soap, so the cloth has a layer of soap on it.

2. Rub soap evenly onto leather, one panel at a time, and then work in.

3. Instructions recommend you let it dry and buff with a cloth, however I need to do several coats to remove all the dirt, so I wipe it off with a damp cloth, rinse the cloth, and repeat the process.

4. I am then treating it with the autoglym Leather Care Cream I already had, to protect it.

Thats about it...
Cheers, thanks for that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a P.S. to my instructions, I have found that it is much better to put the soap on with a cloth, then agitate with a slightly damp nail brush to loosen the dirt.

Just the rear bench to do now...

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
gliptone does indeed rock - when I fancy cleaning my leather again i'l try saddle soap. Never need an excuse to spend money me!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I agree on the Autoglym offerings. It didnt shift the dirt one bit, the car cream offered up some sort of shine but that did not last for long, Im gonna get a tub of that Horsey stuff now, thanks for that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts