MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Autocar BMW is considering trying to buy another car maker. The reason being that they are running out of niches to fill and that the MINI is 'barely profitable' because it uses a bespoke floorpan. BMW would like the MINI to share it's floorpan with another car maker so that it can make more money.

I thought that was pretty interesting but I can't see Ford wanting to part with Volvo or Fiat with Alfa Romeo. If they are after a Premium car maker then there are few options really. Maybe GM would part with SAAB, although I doubt it as SAAB's now sell from GM showrooms and are tightly integrated.

Hopefull BMW will solve the problem by relaunching Triumph, although I won't hold my breath. Still I'm going to type an email to Autocar suggesting the idea.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Or BMW could just work out a simple platform and technology sharing alliance for small cars.

Ford and Fiat are already linked in that manner, with the new Ka to share a platform with the Panda and the new 500. Maybe the next generation MINI (Mk III) could be on that platform as well (or its successor, as the replacement for the new new MINI is probably some years off).

·
Registered
484 Posts
:rofl: They could always buy MG again......
Or sell Mini to Land Rover/Jaguar/Ford and it can be reunited again with the old parents....:cloud9:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
According to Autocar BMW is considering trying to buy another car maker. The reason being that they are running out of niches to fill and that the MINI is 'barely profitable' because it uses a bespoke floorpan. BMW would like the MINI to share it's floorpan with another car maker so that it can make more money.

I thought that was pretty interesting but I can't see Ford wanting to part with Volvo or Fiat with Alfa Romeo. If they are after a Premium car maker then there are few options really. Maybe GM would part with SAAB, although I doubt it as SAAB's now sell from GM showrooms and are tightly integrated.

Hopefull BMW will solve the problem by relaunching Triumph, although I won't hold my breath. Still I'm going to type an email to Autocar suggesting the idea.

But the MINI uses a PSA-BMW co-developed platform.
And as far as I know they're not buying anyone, for now.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But the MINI uses a PSA-BMW co-developed platform.
And as far as I know they're not buying anyone, for now.
I thought it was the engine, not the floorpan.

I think BMW know's the MINI is doing well for a small premium car but now it's about cost's rather than sales.

The other problem BMW has is with Co2 emmisions. If BMW still owned Rover for example it could offset it's own car's emmisions against Rover's. But BMW has few lower end cars to do this with.

I said 2 years ago that BMW was heading for slowing sales, low growth, etc. Bet they wish they employed me. By now I'd have a range of Triumph's almost ready for launch.... :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
It would be the biggest mish matchout!

Yeah they sould buy the Rover name back and licence the logos from NAC and have another crack at it... on second thoughts maybe not, wouldnt want then to give up hope half way through.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
They had MGR for that but didn't take the opportunity. :=p:
100% agree, now they are trying to go back on themselves. It only shows what a premature, ill-thought out, knee-jerk reaction the sale of Rover was, especially when they had such profits just around the corner...

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
198 Posts
Oh my god I hope they don't buy Alfa Romeo.

For a sale you need always two : someone who's willing to sell and someone who's willing to buy... BMW can consider buying any car maker ... but as long as the owner of such brands/companies aren't interested in selling...all is just hypothetical... I can't see Fiat selling any of their brands...in the forseeable future.

I could also make an press release like: "Gaga invest & Crewe Capital Partners" considered buying PepsiCo, CadburySchweppes, Danone and Kraftfoods and merge them to the biggest food & beverages company, today G.John Steed, a senior partner of Crewe Capital Partners, declared.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
This Autocar article is a bit too late for an April Fool's joke, but at least they have not written that BMW was interested to buy Chrysler ;)

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
no thanks, BMW/Alfas no no no!!

dont see fiat selling them to anyone, espcially not now they're a yera away from having an all new model line up with the 149/159/169 brera and spider... Alfa have turned a corner and fiat know that

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
no thanks, BMW/Alfas no no no!!

dont see fiat selling them to anyone, espcially not now they're a yera away from having an all new model line up with the 149/159/169 brera and spider... Alfa have turned a corner and fiat know that
And not forgetting Alfa Romeo's new MINI rival in the Alfa Junior, based on the Fiat Grande Punto platform. This new model on its own, should double Alfa Romeo sales.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
ive not seen an alfa junior, but i doubt its going to rival the mini, people who buy minis are very very different to people who buy alfas?

unless its going to be the new biggest trend to own one?

maybe i need to see one though

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
ive not seen an alfa junior, but i doubt its going to rival the mini, people who buy minis are very very different to people who buy alfas?

unless its going to be the new biggest trend to own one?

maybe i need to see one though
I've seen a few pics, and it will definitely rival the MINI. It will infinitely customisable, like the MINI. And to double the UK sales, it only needs to sell around 10-12,000 of them ;)

·
Registered
942 Posts
At in excess of 200,000 units a year, I can't believe that BMW have an issue with cost on the mini platform. It is highly likely that any expense is from buying PSA engines, but even they shouldn't be too expensive as they appear all over the Ford range too!

At the end of the day, the price of a mini (which is never discounted at the dealer) is far too high for the size of car, this is clearly making BMW loads of cash, also, at 200,000 units a year the spares business must be loving it! And roling in the money.

It should noted that generally people like Autocar keep random rubbish like this in the draw from a quite day!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts