MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know what kind of supply an auto dipping mirror needs?

the mirror in my ZS is so cheap and nasty and is vibrates all the time, i'm looking at swapping it for a BMW auto dipping one.

do they just need a 12v+ and gnd supply, looks like they only have 2 wires on the pics i've seen.

cheers
rob

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I can help you here as I now run a Ford Scorpio Ultima Est, with all the toys.

Autodip does just require 12+ and GND, both of which you can take from the overhead console in the ZS.

Take GREAT care when choosing your mirror though and only get a really pukka item. The electrochromatic fluid, the stuff that darkens, is an extremely good solvent for plastic and will melt anything on your dashboard. If the mirror has dark spots, reacts slowly and esp. if you can see a little liquid in the corners, avoid. Also try to park in the shade or leave the windows open a crack as a hot interior has been known to invite failure.

Hope this helps

Rik

·
Registered
4,011 Posts

Autodip does just require 12+ and GND, both of which you can take from the overhead console in the ZS.

Take GREAT care when choosing your mirror though and only get a really pukka item. The electrochromatic fluid, the stuff that darkens, is an extremely good solvent for plastic and will melt anything on your dashboard. If the mirror has dark spots, reacts slowly or esp if you can see a little liquid in the corners, avoid.

Hope this helps

Rik
scary you should say that about the fluid, the mirror in our scorpios naffed :errx2:

dark spot in the middle and discolouration! and it of course doesnt work.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
:eek:mg2: :eek:mg2: :eek:mg2:

!!!!! GET IT OUT NOW !!!!!

Before it melts holes in the tray below the handbrake, gear selector and anything else it touches...

Rik

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
As above. But it needs three wires, one for the reverse. Obviously with the reverse lights been white it dips to them so you cant see anything. You wont get one to fit out of a box. The closest one I found was the Vauxhall Vectra/Omega one as it has a similiar mounting. However I had one in my 75 so I needed one in my others cars, So I sought about getting a 75 one which has a BMW windcreen connector which is round instead of square, So I chopped the BMW section out and mounted my standard Rover mount and holder in. So I now have one in my 220 SLI, 45, StreetWise and my sons 100. I will take a picture of it for you.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Homer

You can remove the front layer of glass that keeps the liquid in. Thereby 'safeing' the mirror and keeping the original equipment look.

I'll route the guide out and P.M. you. :)

Rik

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
As above. But it needs three wires, one for the reverse. Obviously with the reverse lights been white it dips to them so you cant see anything. You wont get one to fit out of a box. The closest one I found was the Vauxhall Vectra/Omega one as it has a similiar mounting. However I had one in my 75 so I needed one in my others cars, So I sought about getting a 75 one which has a BMW windcreen connector which is round instead of square, So I chopped the BMW section out and mounted my standard Rover mount and holder in. So I now have one in my 220 SLI, 45, StreetWise and my sons 100. I will take a picture of it for you.
:confused: Mine doesn't actually move, just gets darker by use of photosensitive resistors on the front and back of the mirror (Dark in front of mirror, light behind = DAZZLE therefore darken)

Do the BMW ones actually move then? Thought they would work on the same principle as the Ford's?

Rik

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
No, I mean the glass just tints over blue. I found also that if it reacted slowly then it was down to a poor 12Volt feed. I powered all mine from either the interior light or the electric sunroof.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Ahhhh, right. Thanks for that one.

Was toying with the idea of replacing mine with a Bimmer one if they didn't use the 'Alien Blood' liquid..

Cheers

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I dont think they do. I had to have it apart to fix the back section of the old Rover mirror and it was just two sheets of glass with a circuit board. It was less then 4MM in thickness. So it might not. I even chipped the corner of one and nothing leaked out and it still works fine now in my sons 100.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sounds good, a pic would be great.

thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got a bmw one through the post today, the quality is excellent but the mounting of it is going to be a struggle i'll have to have serious think about it.

i'll also need a wiring diagram as there are 9wires coming out of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Rik

I have a spare from a Scorpio Ultima. Might be an idea to fit it as I find the one in my 400 a bit on the small side. Where would be the best place to take the wires from in a 400? Can I get them from the courtesy light?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
You would need a permanently live +12Vdc and a good ground (-'ve). Should be able to get these from the overhead console via the light or the sunroof. Should be safe to use either as I can't see the mirror drawing too many amps.

Hope this helps

Rik

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
158 Posts
BMW auto dip mirror

HI Deviance Did you ever fit your mirror also did you get the wiring diagram Maybee you could tell me what it was please thanks a lot. Andrewmsteve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts