MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly happens inside the Jatco automatic gearbox on a 75/zt when the gearselector is put into Park. Are there brake lining/drums/discs inside the box similar set up to road wheels, or some sort of mechanical lock? Just curious as to how the transmission is locked up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
What exactly happens inside the Jatco automatic gearbox on a 75/zt when the gearselector is put into Park. Are there brake lining/drums/discs inside the box similar set up to road wheels, or some sort of mechanical lock? Just curious as to how the transmission is locked up.

If I remember correctly, on the Jatco & similar boxes, there is a mechanical latch, which engages on a toothed ring on the output shaft. This effectively locks the road wheels. However, as there is no particular gear selected, then the output shaft of the torque converter ( ie the input shaft to the gears), can spin freely if the engine is started. In fact as you are probably aware, the engine can only be started in Park or neutral.

To understand the full workings of electronically controlled auto gearboxes, I think it is easier if you just Google it. There is a lot of info out there.

I hope that has answered the question.

Colin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts