MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Australian GP (Channel 4 TV spoilers)

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MGJohn 
#1 ·
Deja vu... From testing it looks like another Merc show.

Ferrari look better.

Williams look ok.

Red Bull look about the same with the not-Renault TAG Heuer branded power unit.

Torro Rosso looked quite good with the 2015 Ferrari power unit, I wonder if they will be allowed to compete with the first team?

Force India look ok.

Renault look not that good to be honest, they may switch focus to the 2017 car early.

Haas look ok.

Sauber doesn't look that good.

Manor look better running the Merc PU and Williams gearbox.

McLaren-Honda look still to have a long way to go unfortunately.

Probable Merc 1st, Ferrari 2nd, Williams 3rd, a Red Bull team 4th, Haas 5th this season (well why not? :) ).

Welcome Channel 4, no Suzi as she is back to Moto GP coverage on BT Sport. However just about every other former BBC presenter is here and a few more for good measure... Too many cooks springs to mind but shall see how it goes.

Channel 4 coverage.

Channel 4/Channel 4 HD.

Saturday 19th March.

12:30-14:15 - Qualifying highlights.

Sunday 20th March.

13:30-16:00 - Australian GP highlights.

Sky F1 coverage.

Thursday 17th March.

04:00-Onwards - Live Drivers Press Conference.
08:00-Onwards - Drivers Press Conference replay.
11:00-Onwards - Drivers Press Conference replay.
14:30-Onwards - Drivers Press Conference replay.
17:30-Onwards - Drivers Press Conference replay.
20:15-Onwards - Drivers Press Conference replay.
23:45-Onwards - Drivers Press Conference replay.

Friday 18th March.

01:00-03:20 - Live FP1.
05:15-07:30 - Live FP2.
07:30-Onwards - Live Team Principals Press Conference.
08:00-08:30 - The F1 Show.

Saturday 19th March.

02:45-04:15 - Live FP3.
05:00-07:45 - Live Qualifying.

Sunday 20th March.

03:30-04:00 - Live Australian GP Track Parade.
04:00-04:30 - Live Australian GP Pit Lane.
04:30-07:30 - Live Australian GP.
07:30-08:15 - Paddock Live.

Live on RTL, Radio 5 Live Sports Extra foe practises and Radio 5 Live qualifying for the race.

See less See more
#3 ·
Indeed what a shambles that was. :shake:

Toto Wolff called it rubbish, Christian Horner was apologising to the fans and Niki Lauda explained that this system was thought up by Charlie Whiting to get Bernie away from the reverse grid idea.

Back to the old format please.

#5 ·
Reserve judgement.

Currently watching Channel 4's Q Highlights. Impressed with CH4's coverage so far.

Lewis Hamilton gave a most impressive Post-Q Interview he's ever given. Measured, insightful, considered and without much emotion. Well done Lewis and more of the same to come I hope.

Regarding the new Q Format. It's early days and I will reserve judgement to allow the teams to adjust to the new process to take best advantage.

#8 ·
Currently watching Channel 4's Q Highlights. Impressed with CH4's coverage so far.
Whilst the coverage was pretty good, that dubstep ad break lead in/lead out nonsense drove me crazy.

Interesting that they licensed The Chain as their title theme.

As in everyone gets an hour to do their best lap.
Maybe I should of been more precise as in the format used last season.

I was never a fan of the qualifying hour as usually everyone was sat around waiting for the first car to go out usually in the last 20 minutes.

#9 ·
First off I am glad Alonso is ok, that crash was terrifying.

Anyway as expected the new qualifying format looks to be scrapped with immediate effect.

The race was pretty good, now with the choice of three tyre compounds it does make things more interesting. Button refers to the third compound as the "Backup" whether or not the other teams or drivers use this term I do not know.

Nicely done Jolyon Palmer holding up those petulant Torro Rosso's :lol:

Well done to Grosjean and Haas.

Kimi's reliability still nowhere. :(

Was disappointed with Williams, where did the pace go?

Coverage wise well, Channel 4 wasn't that bad though they still have that nails on a chalkboard dubstep lead in/out.

They also didn't show the Alonso crash at normal speed, it looked way more terrifying at normal speed on Sky.

Also that there were two flying McLaren Honda's wasn't totally lost on me. ;)

#10 ·
I echo the thanks that Alonso was uninjured, testament to the strength and good design of the current F1 cars. That was without doubt the most horrendous impact in the current era.
Other than that though, has to be said...still boring! I'm not sure that F1 will ever be the spectacle it was, maybe us 'more mature' followers were spoiled by the Hill, Stewart, Lauda and Senna, Mansell, Prost eras. Made worse by Ch4's ad breaks. Bearable with record and fast forward, but still annoying.
Thank goodness BTCC will be back soon. Proper racing!:frown:

#11 ·
I was pleasantly surprised by the presentation of CH4's first F1 coverage. Very good considering first time straight out of the box. Only watched CH4's highlights shows for both qualifying and the race though. Still quite good and allowing room for improvement that will surely come. We are advised "live" coverage will be commercial break free. That's a bonus. I still clearly remember ITV's F1 coverage showed a real talent to cut to the commercial break just when some good action was quite obviously shaping up on the track. That directly as a result of using coverage direction with no F1 insight at all.

Not for the first time a race hugely and disappointingly spoiled by a Safety Car or Red Flag interruption. Thus I do not believe we learned much from this single race as a reliable pointer to the form of the teams for the rest of the season.

Had it been Pastor Maldonado in the crashed McLaren and not the highly rated Alonso the knee-jerk media in all its forms and the fan bois would have had a field day. Some drivers can do no wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.