MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Sydney Morning Herald 10/12/2004.

What we're driving this week - Joshua Dowling.

Dislikes: Where to start? It doesn't go, stop, or handle like the performance sedan it purports to be. The gearshift is awful. The V8 sounds and feels breathless. The interior is cramped and feels dated and the controls are fiddly. And the price? ($89,990) They're dreamin'.

Would I buy one? Need you ask. I didnt think companies made cars like they used to, but clearly MG Rover does. It not only looks retro, it drives retro.

My comment: First really bad report I've seen about this car. Mostly the press here are quite positive about MGR products.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Mmm Joshua Dowling does a Clarkson? His other reviews are usually pretty fair.

But bearing in mind at that price the ZT260 does face very stiff competition.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Would anyone buy one after reading this?

Is it really so bad?

Journalists can be so irresponsible, and there is very little that can be done to hold them to account.

What's his problem?

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
sounds like the dealer gave him a reliant robin....

how can his review hold any weight after all the other reviews are gleaming!!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
not wanting to excuse the bad review but to put a few things in persective:

1) the gearshift IS awful. That Tremec TR3650 5 speeder, along with its various siblings (ie the same box with revisions - it an old 4 speed manual which gained an extra gear, or 2 in the case of the related but equally awful T56 6 speeder) has been sold in both Fords and Holdens over here for decades. Motoring journos here hate the T56 6 speeder (which I believe the SVR gets) in the Holden Commodore/Monaro V8s and equally hated the TR3650 in the Ford Falcon XR8 V8. Having driven one of these units on a Ford V6 I can attest to its awful shift quality. The main reasons why Ford and Holden use them is they are strong and cheap.

from a canadian transmission website comparing gearbox types - "Tremec transmissions have a single rail that selects and moves three shift rods internally. These three rods have spring loaded detents that make the transmission feel notchy during shifting. Instead of carbon lined steel synchro rings, the Tremec is built with solid bronze synchros with no linings. It is for these reasons that the Tremec does not like to shift well above ~6,500rpms unless modified."

Performance - 260ps/410nm. The currrent generation of Australian "competitor" V8s have 260-290 KW - or approx 360-390bhp. The entry level Ford 6 has approx 250bhp/360nm so I can see this journo expecting the ZT260 to perform like the Ford/Holden V8s and finding it only a little more powerful than the mum's taxi sixes.

The saving grace regarding this review however is that the ZT260 doesn't compete with anything made by Holden or Ford. Simply because in Australia MG is a prestige brand and V8 Commodores, Monaros and Falcons are mass market cars. So while he's clearly in his mind comparing it with these cars it won't be stealing sales from them anyway.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Sounds like the dealer gave him a Rover 75 by mistake and he thought it was the ZT V8.
Dont forget the V8's out there prob made it feel like he was driving a 75 they have a lot more power than the ZT. Still a crap review though it doesnt do us any favours

·
Registered
665 Posts
It's over-priced. Trouble with European cars is they seem to like to charge a lot of extra cash for a bigger engine, when in reality it doesnt really cost them any more to manufacture. For example the 1.4 K series and the 1.8. Cost the same to make so why the big price difference? MG isnt going to compete in Australian and US with that attitude.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts