MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audi: Our gizmos won't confuse you
Carmaker pushes simplicity in first effort from Venables Bell

DETROIT -- Audi wants luxury car buyers to know its in-car technology enhances driving -- and doesn't complicate it like some gizmos in competitors' models.

In trying to popularize and energize its brand with its first ad campaign from Venables Bell & Partners, of San Francisco, Audi of America is taking aim at rivals. But Scott Keogh, Audi's chief marketing officer, said the effort doesn't target a specific competitor.

"We have a point of view about technology -- that it complements the driving as opposed to having some electronica doing the driving for you," he said. The new campaign is much more about Audi's "philosophy about how technology should be used in a car."

BMW system too complex

Germany's BMW was broadly criticized for its iDrive system, an eight-way controller knob on the center console that rolled out in 2001 on BMW's top-of-the-line 7 series. The feature was simplified three years ago.

The latest Mercedes-Benz S class is equipped with an adaptive cruise control system that automatically keeps a specific distance from the vehicle ahead. Keogh, incidentally, is a former Mercedes marketing manager.

Keogh said Venables Bell did research with owners of competitors' models, auto bloggers and Audi owners before landing on the new brand ad approach, which carries the tagline "Truth in Technology." Venables Bell won the $70 million account last year.

Keogh's aim is to dial up Audi's emotional level.

"Truth is emotional," said Keogh, citing research findings that Americans want to get back to truthful, uncomplicated messages. "We're not false luxury ... we are not old luxury."

The 15-second spots began airing Monday, May 7, on national TV and online to launch the second-generation TT roadster and hard-top coupe. The work is part of a broader, umbrella brand campaign that will continue in about a month for the Q7 SUV.

Beefing up online

Since 88 percent of Audi buyers spent a significant amount of time on audiusa.com before purchase, Audi is spending dramatically more online this year, Keogh said, though he declined to reveal details.

Audi is shooting for a viral pass-around of the online portion of the campaign, handled by Factory Design Labs, of Denver. The agency created a microsite for the TT launch, TT-truth.com, and overall ad messages aim to drive traffic there.

The company, a sibling of Volkswagen of America, is outspent by other German luxury rivals.

Audi, which reached record U.S. sales in 2006 with 90,000-plus units, wants to sell even more vehicles this year, said Keogh.

"Audi, it's been said, is a best-kept secret," he said. "We want this campaign to break that secret."
SOURCE: Automotive News

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I really don't get this truth thing.

So false luxury and/or old luxury means BMW, MB, Lexus and Cadillac ?!

The truth is people really only like acceptable, comfortable truths if not, then comes denial, typical/predictable/fundamental human caracteristic.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Im sorry but I cant think of a more boring car manufacturer out, all audis are about is presision they have no spirit or character. I mean ther is nothing wrong with the cars they just seem a bit souless.

I dont get it. It seems like some thing drummed up by their marketing department bacuase they couldnt think of a way to sell cars.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
Sometime ago,i drive my friend BMW 7 series,i was surprise there are so many buttons/functions,i ask him whether he got use all the gizmos,do you know what his reply.?No....he told me,the salesman as him go for a 3 days course,& learn all the functions on his car,since he is a very busy man,he told the salesman,"Where got time".!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts