MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

are these cars any good. im looking for a replacement for my vvc coupe at the moment and these seem quite cheap for what you get. did they only come with a 2.2 engine as from what i know so far this engine doesnt seem to be as powerful as what ive got now. parkers quote it as 144bhp, 8.2 secs 0-60 and 149 lb/ftof torque.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
they also do a softop Astra Coupe Turbo version, lovely looking cars, especially with the irmscher kit :)

·
Registered
5,355 Posts

thats in standard trim, Irmscher kit is pretty rare, but looks very sporty and suits the car real well.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I personally don't like the shape.... why not get urself a volvo c70 T5?? that's got the style & the power vroooom tish!

240bhp and 0-60 is around 7 IIRC 6.9s according to volvo site :D... AND you can chip em to 315bhp too IIRC ..... just checked it chips to 310bhp and goes from 330 to 430Nm of torque :bgrin:

Nice :D

I miss the comfort and build of my old volvo... it was a nice car

Attachments

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,772 Posts
I really dont like any car that has a coupe varient thats achieved by re shaping an existing hatchback. The Astra coupe might be Bertone styled, but the front end is still Astra yuk! Even the same name. Its like having a Pug 206CC, if people dont know what it is, they will assume you have a 206.
The only coupes worth having IMO are purpose built that way. i know alot of manufacturers use alot of other model parts in their Coupe models, but cars like the Celica, Hyundai Coupe, Honda Integra, Fiat coupe, etc etc were all designed as coupes from scratch, and they all look alot better for it. The 220Coupe is different enough in nearly every panel from the 200mk2, to be a totally seperate looking from any other mk2 200. The Astra Coupe is not to my taste at all!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
They do a 2l Turbo as far as i'm aware and it's far quicker than the 2.2, around 7.3 or 7.7 ish to 60. Nice cars, quite like the convertible as well.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Stevo135+ said:
I really dont like any car that has a coupe varient thats achieved by re shaping an existing hatchback.
There is an advantage to this approach though, at least you're starting out with a pretty well sorted car as a base e.g. Rover 200 or Astra.

If you build the car from scratch it has to be done on the cheap as it's not a volume model, and this can mean they aren't as engineered as well.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Why change a coupe VVC for a slower more boring car?.(which copies it's shape from the Rover Coupe anyway)

One of my mates has one and although it is a highly competent car all round it is just boring and doesn't excel at anything.

Now an Astra Coupe Turbo is a different matter.........

·
Registered
672 Posts
mate at work has a astra bertone 2l turbo - not had a ride but he tells me it goes well (as does the guy he brings with him) his passenger has just sold his zr160, they had a tussle and the astra left him for dead, as far as i know he has no mods on it so it runs with a fair bit of power as standard when the turbo spins up. (no idea of figures though)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I thought Bertone was a certain spec. level (I know it is Bertone styled)

So I didn't think you could have a Bertone Turbo???

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ben Cole said:
Why change a coupe VVC for a slower more boring car?.(which copies it's shape from the Rover Coupe anyway)

One of my mates has one and although it is a highly competent car all round it is just boring and doesn't excel at anything.

Now an Astra Coupe Turbo is a different matter.........
this was one of the reasons that was putting me off this car. went to have a look at it the other day. it looked VERY plain and boring, nothing wrong with that, but i would like something a bit more exciting. I'd still consider a astra coupe or gsi turbo though. 1 thing that drew me to this car was that it was an 03 plate,18000 miles and cost £7995. cant get many cars that new with that performance for that price.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Go for it. :p

We have just sold my wifes Coupe. It was a super car, we are expecting our fist child so bought a 5 door Golf GTI - the Astra coupe was soooo much more fun to drive....

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
robvvc said:
this was one of the reasons that was putting me off this car. went to have a look at it the other day. it looked VERY plain and boring, nothing wrong with that, but i would like something a bit more exciting. I'd still consider a astra coupe or gsi turbo though. 1 thing that drew me to this car was that it was an 03 plate,18000 miles and cost £7995. cant get many cars that new with that performance for that price.
Was that price for the turbo? If so then that's a lot of power for the money.

One quote I read about the Astra though is that it's the cheapest 150mph car in Britian. It's also the most boring to drive.

Depends what you want, but I got burnt trading up to something more refined than my ZR, and ended up bored once the novelty factor worse off!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,772 Posts
The original Hyundai coupe was very nice and stylish. the limited edition F2 version with 154bhp is a very nice car! I would certainely much rarther have one than an Astra coupe!

·
Registered
metro
323 Posts
I can't sell the Astra Coupe's on my forecourt for love nor-money. Same for everyone, so haggle hard. The Astra coupe' is a very nice car. I was pottering round in a 1.8 about 6 months ago (it's still on the forecourt) and its quick handles well, looks good and is comfortable. Despite that its similar visually to the hatch every pannel is different. Go for the 2.2 or 2.0 Turbo. Pick of the range is the 888 limited edition launched to celebrate touring car success. With body kit, bucket seats, blue paintwork tuned suspension and 2.0 Turbo its what technically known as 'the nuts'. Though difficult to find

1 - 20 of 22 Posts