MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys!

Some barsteward has keyed my ZS from front to back!!
nasty looking! What is the best way to treat, as a respray of all panels is the only option offered by and garage/dealer.

The touch up paint doesn't look up to it.

Look forward to your comments...I am gutted!!

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
can you catch a fingernail in it???

guessing you can, in which case you can use touch up, then wetsand back and polish up but its gonna be incredibly arduous and painstaking or a respray :(

·
Registered
mg_zs
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you catch a fingernail in it???

guessing you can, in which case you can use touch up, then wetsand back and polish up but its gonna be incredibly arduous and painstaking or a respray :(
Yup I can get a fingernail into it.
Keep getting dirt in it as well.
The trouble with the touch up is the brush is crap, I've tried small artist brushes as well...not good enough....any other tips?

Sorry to sound dim but what is wetsand? and were do i get it?

Still gutted!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,997 Posts
Try a pin or cocktail stick when applying the paint. To wet sand buy some good quality very fine wet & dry paper and soak it in water over night and very carefully rub the effected paintwork with it.

If your not sure about the technique then get hold of something like a scrap bonnet and practice on that.

·
Registered
mg_zs
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try a pin or cocktail stick when applying the paint. To wet sand buy some good quality very fine wet & dry paper and soak it in water over night and very carefully rub the effected paintwork with it.

If your not sure about the technique then get hold of something like a scrap bonnet and practice on that.

Thanks for that info Chris,

Cocktail stick eh? sound like it might work, have you done this before?
Surely if I wet n dry the re painted scratch it will scratch the surrounding paintwork. Would using this claying procedure be better, or maybe the next step?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
1. Apply paint
2. Wet Sand the area
3. Buff using faracla G3 or Scratch X or similar

Lot's of elbow grease, but it should see the scratch disapear. Bear in mind it may not totally disapear but it won't be anywhere near as noticable until you get right up close. It all depends on how much work you give it, and how good the products are you are using. :)

·
Registered
mg_zs
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. Apply paint
2. Wet Sand the area
3. Buff using faracla G3 or Scratch X or similar

Lot's of elbow grease, but it should see the scratch disapear. Bear in mind it may not totally disapear but it won't be anywhere near as noticable until you get right up close. It all depends on how much work you give it, and how good the products are you are using. :)

Cheers!

I am still worried about scratching the surrounding paint...but I guess the other stuff cuts it back??
Any help appreciated...come on give me some confidence

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
yep - fill with a cocktail stick - plenty of layers - then fine wet and dry the area and then polish to remvoe the haze from the wet and dry.

·
Registered
mg_zs
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I will try and go for it then.

Don't be afraid of plenty of layers, seems to be the tip and wet n dry it down.

At what stage sould you apply the laquer? or should I mix this into the paint?

·
Registered
mg_zs
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I will try and go for it then.

Don't be afraid of plenty of layers, seems to be the tip and wet n dry it down.

At what stage sould you apply the laquer? or should I mix this into the paint?

Guy's

When should you use the laquer? sorry to sound thick but there are no instructions with the MG touch up pencils..........

·
Registered
237 Posts
Odd. I didn't think the non-metallic colours generally had clearcoat. My Trophy Yellow TF doesn't and neither did the other three I've looked at. :shrug:

tra

Pig.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
what he forgot to mention is that for you to do that, you need to have the equipement of a small bodyshop.

you should try on a small area of the scratch first because you could make things worse for you by wet sanding if you don't know what you're doing, but that would be the only way to fix a deep scratch.

wet sand until the scratch is ALMOST gone, and then polish really hard with good wax, the scratch should then disappear. if the paintjob in that area isn't shiny, then just get your car to a body shop so they can apply a coat of laquer over it, shouldn't be too expensive since they'll need just 5 minutes to do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts