MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been trying to get some footwell neons in my car and I have finally got round to making my own custom wiring loom with 4 neons and 3 switches. Doing my research, am I told that these are the wires I need to tap into for the interior courtesy light:
http://www.rgardner.net/rover/leds2.jpg (shuntis's picture I think so its a link. Hope you dont mind me borrowing it)

Unfortunately though, I have this:

Is it the same thing? Judging by the position next to the steel bar and bolt makes me think it is but I have an extra cable. The wires I have are purple/black (earth), purple/red (live) and greenygray/black being the additional one. What does it do?

If it is the right one, do I wire it in before or after the plug?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
right you need the purple and red striped wire. This wire gives you the switched earth, you will have to connect to the perminant positive which should be the solid purple colour wire.

Test with a multimetre before connecting anything up and make sure

So

Purple and red striped should be -
purple should be +

thanks

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
right you need the purple and red striped wire. This wire gives you the switched earth, you will have to connect to the perminant positive which should be the solid purple colour wire.

Test with a multimetre before connecting anything up and make sure

So

Purple and red striped should be -
purple should be +

thanks

sorry just seen the bottom of your post

Not 100% sure but I think the blue and black wire will provide the earth for the sunroof relay

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right you need the purple and red striped wire. This wire gives you the switched earth, you will have to connect to the perminant positive which should be the solid purple colour wire....
I have purple and black and purple and red no solid purple. I am assuming instead of solid purple the purple and black is the permanent live

Cheers!

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers emps...
Was planning on doing this as a sunday afternoon job. Guess if no one has any answer before I go out to the car, I am just gonna chop the purple black and purple red before the multi-plug. Any wanna correct me before I go all Gung Ho?

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
This is the correct connector, C084, the two purple wires as you have identified them are the feeds to the interior light.

As cju mentioned the extra wire is for the sunroof relay.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Technozen, cheers for that!
I have been trying to fit them since my last post. The wires you can see in the picture at the top have a small section stripped so that I can connect my neons but there is nothing happening when they are on!

Checked the against the battery and it is fine. Do you think the interior does not have enough power for 4 neons? every pair of neons has a power inveter though. Do you think I should try to get the power from the wires on the other side of the plug?

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wrong way round? I have tried the other way, only based on the fact that I accidentally did it. I dont get it, its just not working at all. No flicker of a light or anything.
I am I trying to tap into it at the wrong place. The wires seem to head from the multi plug to the back of the fuse box. As far as I know, the multi plug is just to extend the interior lighting....or am I wrong? as cutting it after the plug could be the problem?

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I managed to mysteriously get it working now. I walked out to the car, pressed the fob and on they popped.
Question is, it works when the interior light is switched so they come on when the doors do. So I am assuming there is another earth to get it to work with the interior light when I switch it to always on? as this isnt working. I wasnt really expecting it to tho....
Gonna try wiring it into the cigarette lighter now!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The interior light will switch itself off it the door is open too long thats prob why your neons didnt work in the first place.

If you want another earth to keep em on all the time run your negative neon wire through a switch and connect to the body of the car.

(o yer dont connect upto your interior negative wire as well as above because the negative current flowing back will not only bring your interior light on it could also make alot of strange things happen being connected to the multifunction unit)

if you want both door & always on use a 2 way switch....

1 way is. neon neg --- earth = always on
2 way is. neon neg --- Multifunction Unit = open on door only

Thanks

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, I have the lights earthed to the interior light wire (purple/red) and another earth on the back of the cigarette lighter. Is this gonna cause a problem? I ask because my rear fog lights are not working but I think it is because the plug on the back of the switch isnt pushed in enough. I will check tomorrow morning. As of now, everything is working fine :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts