MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the chinese were to advertise for people would you go back to Longbridge and work for them?

·
Registered
169 Posts
If the chinese were to advertise for people would you go back to Longbridge and work for them?
A big fat NO!

I have moved on since the closure and away from the car industry and I don't think I would return to it with anyone, be it the Chinese, Jag, L/R, Aston etc etc.

I would like to see something happen at L/B long term but personally its not for me.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Maybe, it would all depend on how many beer tokens per year they offered and the conditions of the contract. I am guessing the wages wont be anywhere near what they were 2 years ago though.

I guess it would be "no". But never say never eh ! I havent seen any vacancy notices so who knows when they will recruit and the chances of gettting my old job back are very slim to none.

I do know the lads that are back working at LB already are only on 1 year contracts aswell, thats always a big factor when you have to pay bills and such like.

I am quite happy where i am.

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those responses match what I have heard from mates, so if ex Longbridge lads aren't prepared to go back how will they convince anyone to trust any future MG developments at the site.

At the end of the day its a nice idea to resurect the site and "produce new MGTFs" but will anyone want to work there?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Those responses match what I have heard from mates, so if ex Longbridge lads aren't prepared to go back how will they convince anyone to trust any future MG developments at the site.

At the end of the day its a nice idea to resurect the site and "produce new MGTFs" but will anyone want to work there?

Of course peple will Jobs are jobs, most companys only offer short contracts now so I cant see that as a prob, if there work and the terms are good they will find the right people, ots and lots of trained Polish Cars workers out there to fill any gaps..

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Did see a piece on the evening mails website about recruitment for line workers had started and it did say they have been inundated by 100s of applications

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
They might do... but personally I doubt it.

After all, Peugeot have laid off a lot of skilled vehicle builders in Coventry this year, Jaguar laid off a lot of skilled vehicle builders in Coventry about eighteen months ago, LDV laid off skilled vehicle builders in Heartlands just over a year ago... and lets face it, for a lot of people who are in the motor industry, it's a passion, not just a job.

So I doubt they'll have too much trouble filling the vacancies.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
So I doubt they'll have too much trouble filling the vacancies.
Your absoloutely right. The last time MG Rover recruited, during the 90s sometime. There was a queue from "Q" gate down Lowhill Lane and onto the Lickey Road of people wanting application forms. The queue lasted all day and the same happened the following day.

I think wages will be the main stumbling block for workers who wish to apply, they will presume they are going to go back or get a job on the £20k plus per year they were on previously, when in reality i really cant see the figure being much over around £15k per year, if that.

Saying that a job is a job, its better than the £57 per week on the dole that Mr Blair expects you to live on when you are unemployed !

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your absoloutely right. The last time MG Rover recruited, during the 90s sometime. There was a queue from "Q" gate down Lowhill Lane and onto the Lickey Road of people wanting application forms. The queue lasted all day and the same happened the following day.

I think wages will be the main stumbling block for workers who wish to apply, they will presume they are going to go back or get a job on the £20k plus per year they were on previously, when in reality i really cant see the figure being much over around £15k per year, if that.

Saying that a job is a job, its better than the £57 per week on the dole that Mr Blair expects you to live on when you are unemployed !
I spose £15k is a fortune compared to what they are paying chinese workers.

Would an ex Rover guy REALLY work for £15k? They might have got loads of people if paying £20k. £15k is a different story esp if on temporary contracts.

Pay peanuts employ monkeys I say. Bodes well for the build quality?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Why on earth would that it affect build quality?? If they employ someone on £15k that used to do the same job for MGR on £20k, are you suggesting that the worker in question will deliberately do his job worse to 'save' £5k worth of effort??

They'll employ people with skills and experience- the labour pool there is plentiful after all- the jobs will be over-subscribed. I would also hope that after working at the factory and watching the firm collapse under the weight of press horror stories of quality issues and image problems, any workers re-hired would do the best they can to make the company a success. Many people do want MG to succeed in Birmingham, and many people will try their best for their new employers to make it work. This is 2007, not 1977!!!

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why on earth would that it affect build quality?? If they employ someone on £15k that used to do the same job for MGR on £20k, are you suggesting that the worker in question will deliberately do his job worse to 'save' £5k worth of effort??

They'll employ people with skills and experience- the labour pool there is plentiful after all- the jobs will be over-subscribed. I would also hope that after working at the factory and watching the firm collapse under the weight of press horror stories of quality issues and image problems, any workers re-hired would do the best they can to make the company a success. Many people do want MG to succeed in Birmingham, and many people will try their best for their new employers to make it work. This is 2007, not 1977!!!
The buys working at MG-Rover were picked because of the skills they had. The company paid good money to get good people - they could be choosey and chose accordingly.

I dont know what job you do but I wouldn't get out of bed for £15k and CERTAINLY would work my guts out on a track knowing that people used to get paid £20k for the same thing.

The lads at Longbridge probably got more than £15k in 1977 so unless the chinese move with the times and pay a fair wage they'll end up manning the place with dodgy temps.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Where did this £15k come from? Pure speculation.

Lets not get into a row about what the workers might get paid or how good/bad they would be without a shred of evidence.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Some people love to get into speculative arguments without a shred of evidence on here- chiefly about how badly NAC are going to do, how inaccurate their press releases are and about how bad the cars will be. I wonder why?

·
Registered
143 Posts
£15k a year in 1977? I don't think so.

As for not getting out of bed for £15k who do you think you are?

Its people like you thats ruining this country what normal decent person wouldn't get out of bed for a honest days work.

Would you rather stay in bed and live off the state?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I dont know what job you do but I wouldn't get out of bed for £15k and CERTAINLY would work my guts out on a track knowing that people used to get paid £20k for the same thing.
Sadly, that sort of attitude sums up why the manufacturing industry of this country has gone down the pan.

I'm very lucky, I've never been out of work although I'm about to be made redundant. I do, however, vividly remember times in the 50s and 60s when my father was laid off. His reaction to this was to pound the pavements until he found work, any work. Anything to avoid drawing the dole. This will be my take on things. Find a job paying more than 57 quid a week and then look round for something better.

If 15k is such a paltry sum to you, you must be very fortunate.

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Perhaps if MGR hadn't been paying thousands of people £20k per annum they wouldn't have gone bust...
True, the outlay on wages was a huge contributor to the company's losses but they were stuck with the JFL clause until about 2004 IIRC. I really think they should've worked harder to remove the clause sooner and laid a few hundred workers as the plant was rather overstaffed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts