MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been wondering. My ZT has some very dark tints all round (apart from the front screen). You cannot see into the car even on a reasonably light day, not unless you get really close, by which time the Clifford proximity detector has sqawked at you. Seeing out is fine for most of the time. In fact, looking out is surprisingly a lot clearer than you would think (night time reversing can be a bit of a pain). My question is, where do I stand with the law? And, more importantly, will I have any problems when the first MOT is due? The windows were already tinted when I got the car. Although I think they look great, I personally wouldn't have gone that dark (see my album pics for yourself). Worst case scenario, if I had to get it removed, is it a case of new glass? Obviously, this is not as simple as the stick on stuff you can get.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
dunno bout the tints mate, but the car looks sweet!!! Was gonna say nice exhausts but all of it looks great!

Personally i would leave the windows until someone objected to it!! Sure someone will be along to disagree with me soon enough though. lol

G

·
I have professionally tinted my ZS windows too but they are not completely dark. There is a law on the level of light that must come through the front driver and passenger windows (which I am sure you can find somewhere). The front windscreen must never be tinted. The rear windows and rear windscreen can be as dark as you like. I am not sure about passing MOT but if the police stop you and proved that your windows are too dark hence illegal then you could be fine.

Don't quote me on this but I have seen it somewhere possibly on the web that there are company who can remove tinted film from car windows.

Happy Motoring :)

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
I don't believe you're allowed to TINT windows anymore. The glass manufacturer is, but aftermarket tints on the front windows in a NO-NO.....

MOT man will probably fail it!. However, if you know the fuse for the front windows, lower them, remove the fuse, and get it MOT'd...... it will then PASS!.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts