1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
the plan to buy every bit off him and re-assemble it when they are all posted?

Unfortunatly a lot of good rovers are getting broken for spares to get as much money for them as possible.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
If he was offered as much as he thinks he'll get for selling the parts the he'll obviously sell, only way i can see. Shame.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
For what he thinks he will get for all the bits, it wouldn't be economical to buy it and do it up..not to mention any big problems the car actually has. More than likely, we would actually make a loss and realistically you can't save every rover that is being broke, any scrapyard is testament to this, which is a shame but its a historical problem. How many P5's were scrapped for a few quid only to be worth thousands today. (One last week on ebay for £4.5k)

I have always had a love affair with Rover vehicles and it pains me when I see so many good ones ready to be crushed. This is the culture we live in though.. keep a car for a couple of years and move on to something better. Its like how many quality motors do you see in the scrapyard with HGF. I can fix one in a day. I would even do one for a £100 + parts if it meant saving it from the crusher!

Garages have a big hand to play in why so many of these are being thrown away when people feel its uneconomical to actually repair them.

Such a shame

Sean

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
pains me when I see so many good ones ready to be crushed. This is the culture we live in though.. keep a car for a couple of years and move on to something better. Its like how many quality motors do you see in the scrapyard with HGF.
Then new cars need to be built and then more polution added to the atmosphere.

Recycling bits help but this isnt as efficent as reusing.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
I just don't get the UK. That car looks almost spotless and yet it's being broken up for parts/scrap. In Australia you'd get 500-1000 quid from every small used car lot in town.

I think it is because of your appalling depreciation on cars - it seems a car is lucky to be even 50% of its purchase price after 1 year let alone the 4-5 years it takes to reach that point over here. How the UK manages to have single digit inflation is quite beyond me...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the plan to buy every bit off him and re-assemble it when they are all posted?

Unfortunatly a lot of good rovers are getting broken for spares to get as much money for them as possible.

The plan is to offer him enough that he is happy, the plan is not to make money (no profit crazy man!!) but like Wheeler dealers (programme that does up classics and sells them on mostly for no profit) guess club 10 of us or so together pay a few quid each make it like new and sell it on to a good home, we may get our money back or buy doing a lot of the work ourselves, make a few quid. We sit on here and moan about this and that wouldn't it be better to put or knowledge and passion into a project to save a future classic. Call it 'Project MG Rover.org save a classic' or something more catchy. Any offers? I will match the highest sensible offer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts